Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - I do not comprehend Algebra

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy I do not comprehend Algebra

    I have some problems with algebra - I don't get i. Util I get a tutor I am seekig some help here. I have tried several times to get the answers for my homework.
    1. The amount of simple interest I generated by principal P, annual interest rate r, and time t in years is given by I=Prt. Find the interest if t=6 years, P=$190, and r=0.08.

    2.6[7^2+2(5+5)]

    Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by metromets View Post
    I have some problems with algebra - I don't get i. Util I get a tutor I am seekig some help here. I have tried several times to get the answers for my homework.
    1. The amount of simple interest I generated by principal P, annual interest rate r, and time t in years is given by I=Prt. Find the interest if t=6 years, P=$190, and r=0.08.

    2.6[7^2+2(5+5)]

    Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much.

    For the first one, you're plugging the values they give you for t, P, and r...I am not sure what you don't understand for this one.

    For the second one,

    6*[7^2+2*(5+5)]

    PEMDAS: (order of operation rules)...parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition/subtraction...

    5+5 = 10 * 2 = 20 + (7^2)

    20 + (49) = 69*6

    = 414.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,052
    Thanks
    368
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by metromets View Post
    The amount of simple interest I generated by principal P, annual interest rate r, and time t in years is given by I=Prt. Find the interest if t=6 years, P=$190, and r=0.08.
    I = Prt

    I = ($190)(0.08)(6)

    I = ($190)(0.48)

    I = $91.20

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,052
    Thanks
    368
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterShock View Post
    For the first one, you're plugging the values they give you for t, P, and r...I am not sure what you don't understand for this one.

    For the second one,

    6*[7^2+2*(5+5)]

    PEMDAS: (order of operation rules)...parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition/subtraction...

    5+5 = 10 * 2 = 20 + (7^2)

    20 + (49) = 69*6

    = 414.
    Ummmm...I would leave this one alone except that you are stepping all over one of my pet-peeves!!

    For example:
    5+5 = 10 * 2 = 20 + (7^2)
    What the heck? 5 + 5 = 10. That's it. Not "10*2" because that's equal to 20, which doesn't equal 10.
    Please don't do this on tests. It's annoying to try to grade!
    End of pet-peeve.

    However anal I am about how Aftershock wrote it, he (I'm assuming "he") is correct about order of operations. Let me repeat his argument step by step.

    6[7^2+2(5+5)]
    Start with the inner-most parenthesis:
    6[7^2+2(10)]
    Now do exponents before anything else:
    6[49+2(10)]
    Multiplication before addition:
    6[49+20]
    Inside the parenthesis first:
    6[69]
    Finally:
    414

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3
    For the 1st one, I just need some direction in how to set it up. I am so bad!! with that. Once I get going I am all right.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3

    Super

    Thank you for the super response, I really appreciate it. I see where I was going wrong. I am eager to be able to understand alegbra! Thank Goodness my Major is English, I can do only basic math! Anyway, thank you both.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    Ummmm...I would leave this one alone except that you are stepping all over one of my pet-peeves!!

    For example:

    What the heck? 5 + 5 = 10. That's it. Not "10*2" because that's equal to 20, which doesn't equal 10.
    Please don't do this on tests. It's annoying to try to grade!
    End of pet-peeve.

    However anal I am about how Aftershock wrote it, he (I'm assuming "he") is correct about order of operations. Let me repeat his argument step by step.

    6[7^2+2(5+5)]
    Start with the inner-most parenthesis:
    6[7^2+2(10)]
    Now do exponents before anything else:
    6[49+2(10)]
    Multiplication before addition:
    6[49+20]
    Inside the parenthesis first:
    6[69]
    Finally:
    414

    -Dan
    I think it's quite obvious that when I say 5 + 5 = 10 * 2 = 20, I am meaning to take the result of 5 + 5 and multiply it by 2 to get the new result (20). This isn't a 200, 300, or even a 400 level math course at higher institution. If this was for analytical algebra, or complex analysis, where technicality mattered, then I would agree with you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,052
    Thanks
    368
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by metromets View Post
    Thank you for the super response, I really appreciate it. I see where I was going wrong. I am eager to be able to understand alegbra! Thank Goodness my Major is English, I can do only basic math! Anyway, thank you both.
    Actually I usually try to teach my students algebra by making analogies to language. For example, if we have "3 + 4" I ask what the Mathematical "dictionary" says this statement means. (And if needed I'll pull out the number line and explain addition in terms of that.) I have found the technique rather useful in breaking problems down into simpler steps.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 4th 2011, 08:39 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 6th 2010, 03:03 PM
  3. algebra
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 30th 2010, 05:29 PM
  4. Algebra or Algebra 2 Equation Help Please?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 12th 2010, 11:22 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 23rd 2010, 11:37 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum