Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - I need help with math problem...

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3

    I need help with math problem...

    friend of mine has a daugther. She is 3 grade. I can not help her, so I hope that somebody can do it...there is the problem ...
    "Write a six-digit number in which the digit 4 has the value of 40 000" ????????????????
    Can u do it???? I can be here to 10 o'clock. ....beacuse the girl has to go sleep



    thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by himka View Post
    friend of mine has a daugther. She is 3 grade. I can not help her, so I hope that somebody can do it...there is the problem ...
    "Write a six-digit number in which the digit 4 has the value of 40 000" ????????????????
    Can u do it???? I can be here to 10 o'clock. ....beacuse the girl has to go sleep



    thank you.
    any number of the form * 4 * * * * will do. just fill in any digits you want for the *'s
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member 11rdc11's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    From
    New Orleans
    Posts
    894
    Ok I'm a little confused but maybe the problem is asking for place holders.

    So lets say you have the number 246371

    This can be expressed as

    200000 + 40000 + 6000 + 300 + 70 + 1.

    The digit 4 has a place value of 40000.

    Does this make sense or look like what she is learning?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 11rdc11 View Post
    Ok I'm a little confused but maybe the problem is asking for place holders.

    So lets say you have the number 246371

    This can be expressed as

    200000 + 40000 + 6000 + 300 + 70 + 1.

    The digit 4 has a place value of 40000.

    Does this make sense or look like what she is learning?
    For me this stuff doesn;t make sense, not your answer....the math problem ))) sorry for my english
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by himka View Post
    But htere no sens fot me like that
    huh?

    ....very stupid math problem is this the true ?????? poor kids....I'm a teacher too...form Europe, but this is very, veryyy strange for me...
    what 11rdc11 and i gave you is correct. they are looking for a number where the place holder in the 10 thousands position is 4

    Quote Originally Posted by himka View Post
    For me this stuff doesn;t make sense, not your answer....the math problem ))) sorry for my english
    what do you teach?

    what do you know about place holders? have you ever heard of phrases like a numbers in the "ones" place, or "tens" place, or "hundreths" place?

    you need a basic understanding of arithmetic and numbers to do this. the girl you are doing it for will probably get it, since chances are, she would have covered this in class.
    Last edited by ThePerfectHacker; September 24th 2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    i'm number 1?

    yeah, the easy problems always mess you up

    well, 3rd grade is usually harder than this question i would suppose, so this is an exception
    ok, not only u , this forum is number 1
    harder or not, it doesn't matter, you guys are great
    bye
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. GRE Math problem help!
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 7th 2010, 03:13 PM
  2. help in math problem
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 6th 2009, 11:35 AM
  3. Please help with this math problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 30th 2009, 02:18 AM
  4. Please help with this math problem!!!!!please
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 13th 2008, 03:13 PM
  5. Math Problem Help!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 17th 2006, 01:46 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum