Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - xy coordinate plane (535)

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    222

    xy coordinate plane (535)

    In the xy-coordinate plane, the distance between point B (10, 18) and point A (x, 3) is 17. What is one possible value of x?

    I don't get this, please help.

    Thanks in advance
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by fabxx View Post
    In the xy-coordinate plane, the distance between point B (10, 18) and point A (x, 3) is 17. What is one possible value of x?

    I don't get this, please help.

    Thanks in advance
    d = sqrt[(x2 -x1)^2 +(y2 -y1)^2]

    17 = sqrt[(x -10)^2 +(3 -18)^2]
    Solve for x.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by ticbol View Post
    d = sqrt[(x2 -x1)^2 +(y2 -y1)^2]

    17 = sqrt[(x -10)^2 +(3 -18)^2]
    Solve for x.
    Can you please explain why square root the equation? Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by fabxx View Post
    Can you please explain why square root the equation? Thanks
    Are you familiar with the formula for the distance between two points? ticbol used that formula.

    The Distance Formula
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Coordinate Geometry in the (x,y) plane
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 5th 2011, 01:45 PM
  2. Angles in the coordinate plane
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 18th 2009, 05:53 PM
  3. finding the traces in each coordinate plane
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 29th 2009, 03:11 PM
  4. coordinate plane graphing problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 15th 2008, 12:25 PM
  5. parallel coordinate plane
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 7th 2006, 08:43 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum