Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Word Problem! Please HELP!

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    222

    Word Problem! Please HELP!

    (Page 476 #17)
    Here's a table that can from the problem.

    Inventory of Clocks and Frequency of Chimes
    Types A has 10 clocks. Chimes n times on the nth hour. Chimes once on the half hour.

    Type B has 5 clocks. Chimes n times on the nth hour.

    Type C has 3 clocks. Chimes once on the hour. Chimes once on the half hour.

    The question:
    A merchant sells three types of clocks that chime as indicated by the table above. What is the total number of chimes of the inventory of clocks in the 90-minute period from 7:15-8:45?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fabxx View Post
    (Page 476 #17)
    Here's a table that can from the problem.

    Inventory of Clocks and Frequency of Chimes
    Types A has 10 clocks. Chimes n times on the nth hour. Chimes once on the half hour.

    Type B has 5 clocks. Chimes n times on the nth hour.

    Type C has 3 clocks. Chimes once on the hour. Chimes once on the half hour.

    The question:
    A merchant sells three types of clocks that chime as indicated by the table above. What is the total number of chimes of the inventory of clocks in the 90-minute period from 7:15-8:45?
    This seems almost too easy. I hope I'm not misreading something.

    Nothing happens at 7:15 or 8:45.

    10 Type A clocks chime 10(1)=10 times at 7:30

    10 Type A clocks chime 10(8) = 80 times at 8:00 and 10(1)=10 times at 8:30.

    Type A clocks chime a total of 100 times.

    5 Type B clocks chime 5(8) = 40 times at 8:00. Nothing at 8:30.

    Type B clocks chime a total of 40 times.

    3 type C clocks chime 3(1) = 2 times at 7:30

    3 Type C clocks chime 3(1) = 3 times at 8:00 and 3(1)=3 times at 8:30.

    Type C clocks chime a total of 9 times.

    This makes the total chimes = 149.
    Last edited by masters; September 20th 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Jhevon saw that I'd forgotten 7:30
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    222
    But the correct answer is 149.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Edited my post to 136. Can't find the other 13 chimes. Maybe someone else will "chime" in and find them.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Edited my post to 136. Can't find the other 13 chimes. Maybe someone else will "chime" in and find them.
    you forgot 7:30

    type A and type C would chime the required chimes then

    at 7:30, Type A will chime 10 chimes in all, and Type C will chime 3. there's your missing 13
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    you forgot 7:30

    type A and type C would chime the required chimes then

    at 7:30, Type A will chime 10 chimes in all, and Type C will chime 3. there's your missing 13
    Thanks, Jhevon. I never was good a telling time. I've edited my original answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    I never was good a telling time.
    yeah, analog clocks are archaic. who remembers how to read those things?! you're not alone, masters!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. word problem - the snow plough problem?
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 13th 2011, 02:02 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 2nd 2011, 09:20 PM
  3. 1 Word problem and 1 function problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 21st 2010, 09:01 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 10th 2009, 06:49 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum