Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Rules of order helpplease

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    3

    Rules of order helpplease

    I have got an assignment headed "Rules of Order" in which there are a few thing I am not sure about, so this is what I have done.

    Problem:- 15-123X2=
    I assume the rules of BIMDAS apply so I did this:- 15-126=
    Then 15-2= 13.


    Next problem:- 50-5-10X2=
    so I did this:- 50-5-20=
    then:- 45-20=25

    Am I on the right track here?

    Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by ptrott View Post
    I have got an assignment headed "Rules of Order" in which there are a few thing I am not sure about, so this is what I have done.

    Problem:- 15-123X2=
    I assume the rules of BIMDAS apply so I did this:- 15-126=
    Then 15-2= 13.
    It's 123X2, not 12(3X2)

    Hence divide first by 3, then multiply by 2.


    Next problem:- 50-5-10X2=
    so I did this:- 50-5-20=
    then:- 45-20=25

    Am I on the right track here?
    It's incorrect ^^

    -50-5 is not equal to -45 but to... ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Hello,



    It's 123X2, not 12(3X2)

    Hence divide first by 3, then multiply by 2.




    It's incorrect ^^

    -50-5 is not equal to -45 but to... ?
    Why is it 123X2, not 12(3X2)??
    Is there a different set of rules than Brackets, Indices, Multiply, Add, Subtract? If so, what are the correct rules for these problems?

    Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ptrott View Post
    Why is it 123X2, not 12(3X2)??
    Is there a different set of rules than Brackets, Indices, Multiply, Add, Subtract? If so, what are the correct rules for these problems?

    Thanks.
    What you did was dividing 12 by 6.
    But this would mean that it was 12(3X2).

    Whereas here, we have : 123X2, which is the same as 12X23

    The order is (-, +) after (X, )

    Parenthesis are here to define other orders. For example in 12(3X2), it means that you do the multiplication first, so that you have 126. But it's true if and only if there are parenthesis.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Moo, I'll go and try to get this into my head.

    Cheers.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Re-writing higher order spatial derivatives as lower order system
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 27th 2010, 09:56 AM
  2. n'th order rules of derivation
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 4th 2009, 12:18 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 23rd 2009, 06:54 AM
  4. using sin & cos rules help please
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 19th 2008, 03:09 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum