Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Ionic equation

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    14

    Ionic equation

    Balance the ionic equation for acidic conditions. Identify the oxidizing and reducing agents.

    I3^- ---> I^- + IO3^-

    Sorry, not sure how to subscript.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,928
    Thanks
    333
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky View Post
    Balance the ionic equation for acidic conditions. Identify the oxidizing and reducing agents.

    I3^- ---> I^- + IO3^-

    Sorry, not sure how to subscript.
    I_3^- \rightarrow I^- + IO_3^-
    can't be balanced. Where does the O come from?

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Alfaz del Pi Spain
    Posts
    18
    Problly the air, if so then...

    3I^(3-) + 2O --> 2IO^(3-) + 3I^(-)

    However this is my first time doing ionic balancing so its really just a guess.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,928
    Thanks
    333
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Problly the air, if so then...

    3I^(3-) + 2O --> 2IO^(3-) + 3I^(-)

    However this is my first time doing ionic balancing so its really just a guess.
    I doubt it comes from air, though it is possible. In my (admittedly small) experience with these the experiment is done aqueously: in water.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Alfaz del Pi Spain
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    I doubt it comes from air, though it is possible. In my (admittedly small) experience with these the experiment is done aqueously: in water.

    -Dan
    Well considering Iodine boils at 458 Kelvin you're probably right.
    Last edited by Stone Cold; March 26th 2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Ionic equation
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 8th 2011, 09:19 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 11th 2011, 01:17 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 26th 2010, 01:53 AM
  4. Ionic Compounds
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 20th 2010, 02:25 PM
  5. Partial differential equation-wave equation - dimensional analysis
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 28th 2009, 11:39 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum