Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree3Thanks
  • 2 Post By HallsofIvy
  • 1 Post By topsquark

Thread: Geometric Construction

  1. #1
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Geometric Construction

    What is the main objective in terms of teaching geometric construction at the high school level? Do they really need to know this material to earn a high school diploma?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    20,219
    Thanks
    3341

    Re: Geometric Construction

    The primary purpose is to teach students the connection between lines and circles and more complicated geometric figures. As far as "needing to know this material", while having taken a geometry course may be required, I know of no area where knowledge of constructions is required for graduation.
    Thanks from topsquark and harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Geometric Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    The primary purpose is to teach students the connection between lines and circles and more complicated geometric figures. As far as "needing to know this material", while having taken a geometry course may be required, I know of no area where knowledge of constructions is required for graduation.
    In NYC public schools, high school students wanting a regents diploma must pass a regents geometry exam that includes proofs and construction questions.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: Geometric Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    What is the main objective in terms of teaching geometric construction at the high school level? Do they really need to know this material to earn a high school diploma?
    My take on this is that no one beyond a Math course is likely to ask you for proofs and such. (Though you may wind up, say, building a shed or deck or something that requires some geometry.) I think that the course's main thrust beyond Mathematics is to help a High Schooler learn the ability to think analytically when approaching a problem, which is a serious deficit in American education in general. I have had to teach this kind of thing in my freshman Physics classes where I would have expected some level of capability.

    -Dan
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Geometric Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    My take on this is that no one beyond a Math course is likely to ask you for proofs and such. (Though you may wind up, say, building a shed or deck or something that requires some geometry.) I think that the course's main thrust beyond Mathematics is to help a High Schooler learn the ability to think analytically when approaching a problem, which is a serious deficit in American education in general. I have had to teach this kind of thing in my freshman Physics classes where I would have expected some level of capability.

    -Dan
    I totally agree and did not misunderstand your first reply.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Geometric Construction
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 5th 2018, 11:25 PM
  2. Geometric Construction
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 20th 2015, 05:38 PM
  3. Geometric construction
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 7th 2010, 11:25 AM
  4. Geometric Construction #2
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 27th 2010, 11:44 AM
  5. Geometric Construction
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 26th 2010, 09:27 PM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum