Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree12Thanks

Thread: The Circle

  1. #1
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    The Circle

    A few questions about the circle.

    1. Is the circumference the perimeter of a circle?
    2. Why is pi part of the formula C = pid?
    3. Can we say that C = pid is the same as
    C= (22/7)(d)?
    4. The area of a circle is given by A = pir^2. Can this formula also be expressed as C = pi(d/2)^2, where d is the diameter?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    A few questions about the circle.

    1. Is the circumference the perimeter of a circle?
    2. Why is pi part of the formula C = pid?
    3. Can we say that C = pid is the same as
    C= (22/7)(d)?
    4. The area of a circle is given by A = pir^2. Can this formula also be expressed as C = pi(d/2)^2, where d is the diameter?
    1. Yes.

    2. As far as I know it is the original definition for the number $\displaystyle \pi$.

    3. $\displaystyle \pi$ is only approximately 22/7. The correct expression uses $\displaystyle \pi$.

    4. Don't you mean $\displaystyle A = \pi \left ( \dfrac{d}{2} \right ) ^2$

    I don't want to discourage you from your studies but, really, you can look up all of these.

    -Dan
    Thanks from harpazo and DenisB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    1. Yes.

    2. As far as I know it is the original definition for the number $\displaystyle \pi$.

    3. $\displaystyle \pi$ is only approximately 22/7. The correct expression uses $\displaystyle \pi$.

    4. Don't you mean $\displaystyle A = \pi \left ( \dfrac{d}{2} \right ) ^2$

    I don't want to discourage you from your studies but, really, you can look up all of these.

    -Dan
    1. I am doing a self-study of math. My formal CUNY student days ended in 1993.

    2. Yes, I meant A = pi(d/2)^2.

    3. I know the basics of geometry. Of course, not at your level of comprehension but enough to pass an introductory middle school or high school geometry classroom test.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    1. I am doing a self-study of math. My formal CUNY student days ended in 1993.

    2. Yes, I meant A = pi(d/2)^2.

    3. I know the basics of geometry. Of course, not at your level of comprehension but enough to pass an introductory middle school or high school geometry classroom test.
    I'm aware of all this. However you need to also be working on your ability to handle the basics on your own. And by basics I'm referring here to basic definitions. All of this can probably be found on Wikipedia. If you are merely looking for a double check, then fine. But work on your self-confidence a bit.

    -Dan
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    I'm aware of all this. However you need to also be working on your ability to handle the basics on your own. And by basics I'm referring here to basic definitions. All of this can probably be found on Wikipedia. If you are merely looking for a double check, then fine. But work on your self-confidence a bit.

    -Dan
    I find Wikipedia to be a bit mathematical. I prefer mathisfun.com or mathbits.com in terms of basic definitions. Dan, keep in mind that I am at the level of "Math For Dummies" considering that my last formal classroom experience took place in the Fall semester of 1993.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    I find Wikipedia to be a bit mathematical. I prefer mathisfun.com or mathbits.com in terms of basic definitions. Dan, keep in mind that I am at the level of "Math For Dummies" considering that my last formal classroom experience took place in the Fall semester of 1993.
    I simply mentioned Wiki because that's one of my own occasional sources. Wherever you find the material is good.

    -Dan
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    I simply mentioned Wiki because that's one of my own occasional sources. Wherever you find the material is good.

    -Dan
    Do you also contribute to Wikipedia?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    Do you also contribute to Wikipedia?
    No. I prefer to do things like the Fora.

    -Dan
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    6,463
    Thanks
    2820

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    No. I prefer to do things like the Fora.

    -Dan
    forae?
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by romsek View Post
    forae?
    Fora is as far as my Latin goes.

    Carpe Michelobum!

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    488

    Re: The Circle

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-olnV8hNUE

    Sorry Dan...had a moment of weakness
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by DenisB View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-olnV8hNUE

    Sorry Dan...had a moment of weakness
    No comment on the topic, but I'm a musician. I made it through 45 seconds of that.... thing.

    And it's stuck in my head. Thank you. Thank you very much.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    6,463
    Thanks
    2820

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    No comment on the topic, but I'm a musician. I made it through 45 seconds of that.... thing.

    And it's stuck in my head. Thank you. Thank you very much.

    -Dan
    As a musician this juxtaposition made me cry laughing...

    first for real

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUUcWKtoALY

    absolutely gorgeous

    now for laughs

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12c9ZVK-u6s

    and she thinks she's just nailing it...
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks
    871
    Awards
    1

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by romsek View Post
    As a musician this juxtaposition made me cry laughing...

    first for real

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUUcWKtoALY

    absolutely gorgeous
    I agree!

    Quote Originally Posted by romsek View Post
    now for laughs

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12c9ZVK-u6s

    and she thinks she's just nailing it...
    This one reminds me of the Devil's turn in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: The Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    No. I prefer to do things like the Fora.

    -Dan
    What is Fora?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug 18th 2015, 05:01 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 22nd 2014, 09:17 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 25th 2012, 04:33 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul 8th 2010, 05:39 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 6th 2010, 08:31 AM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum