Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree5Thanks
  • 1 Post By Debsta
  • 1 Post By Monoxdifly
  • 1 Post By mathbeing
  • 1 Post By DenisB
  • 1 Post By DenisB

Thread: Why Study/Review Math?

  1. #1
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Why Study/Review Math?

    As most of you already know, I am 53 soon to be 54 years old. You have no idea how often family members and close friends criticise my dedication to math. Below is a list of comments made known to me by family and friends far and near.

    Criticism Outline:

    1. Harpazo (not my real name), you are wasting precious time.
    2. Why study/review mathematics? You are not going to ever teach math for a living. Face the facts that you are a security guard.
    3. Why not take up drawing or reading or Sudoku or go back to playing guitar hymns?
    4. Who are you trying to impress?
    5. Nobody cares if you know math or lack the skills needed to be a true mathematician.
    6. Women dislike math nerds. If you plan to ever meet someone else in the near future, math must become second or even third to the next person.
    7. You have become so passionate about math that, sad to say, even the Bible and your relationship with God is not half of what it once was.
    8. How long are you going to continue answering textbook questions to no avail?
    9. Please, stop trying to be someone you are not.
    10. Drop your math passion, go back to God and the Bible, play your favorite hymns on guitar, go out and find a date before you get TOO OLD, etc....

    MHF Friends:

    What do you say? Through the years, I tried giving up math. I was miserable. In fact, I plan to be buried with one or two algebra textbooks at my passing should Jesus delay His coming.

    There is nothing I can do to TOTALLY and COMPLETELY put math aside and never solve another equation or word problem again, even if I don't quite learn how to solve applications at the level of MHF tutors/teachers. What do you say? Why am I criticised so much by family and close friends? Do you see anything wrong with what I'm trying to accomplish, mathematically speaking?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanks
    429

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    I think it is great that you have an interest. Keeping the mind active is as important as keeping the body active. Personally I wouldn't worry about what others say or think. If you get enjoyment out of doing maths problems and its not hurting anyone else, then keep doing it!
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Quote Originally Posted by Debsta View Post
    I think it is great that you have an interest. Keeping the mind active is as important as keeping the body active. Personally I wouldn't worry about what others say or think. If you get enjoyment out of doing maths problems and its not hurting anyone else, then keep doing it!
    Thank you. I agree. What harm is there in solving math problems for the purpose of self-improvement? Believe it or not, I have learned a lot through the years by simply answering math questions from textbooks purchased online. I have a nephew who enjoys when I help him with elementary school math homework. In a circle with Plato, MarkFL, yourself and others, I know nothing about mathematics. However, in my personal circle of friends and family who easily get impressed when I solve a linear equation such as 3x + 15 = 45, TO THEM, I am a math expert. See my point? My time with textbooks has not been a total waste of time.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    From
    Sukoharjo
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    19

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    Thank you. I agree. What harm is there in solving math problems for the purpose of self-improvement? Believe it or not, I have learned a lot through the years by simply answering math questions from textbooks purchased online. I have a nephew who enjoys when I help him with elementary school math homework. In a circle with Plato, MarkFL, yourself and others, I know nothing about mathematics. However, in my personal circle of friends and family who easily get impressed when I solve a linear equation such as 3x + 15 = 45, TO THEM, I am a math expert. See my point? My time with textbooks has not been a total waste of time.
    I understand what you feel. I have tried to give up on math when I was in High School. However, just before I graduated I realized that it was the only "skill" which I had (though it's damn nowhere near the other members' skill), so I took math in college even though at the time my most dominant skill was English (everyone was surprised back then, they asked "Why didn't you take English instead? It's the only thing you're good at!"). Now I like to imagine myself as someone wielding a dual weapon: Math in my right hand and English in my left hand.
    Thanks from DenisB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monoxdifly View Post
    I understand what you feel. I have tried to give up on math when I was in High School. However, just before I graduated I realized that it was the only "skill" which I had (though it's damn nowhere near the other members' skill), so I took math in college even though at the time my most dominant skill was English (everyone was surprised back then, they asked "Why didn't you take English instead? It's the only thing you're good at!"). Now I like to imagine myself as someone wielding a dual weapon: Math in my right hand and English in my left hand.
    I'm also pretty decent in terms of English. I am not too bad when it comes to math. Of course, the MHF tutors are all math experts, math teachers or teach physics for a living. I majored in Liberal Arts and Sciences plus Sociology within CUNY. I also graduated with a two-year degree with the Family Radio School of the Bible. However, it was not until second semester at City Tech that I came to the realization that math is cool. I avoided math as a major because I was literally afraid to face topology, a required graduation course within the math department.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie mathbeing's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    From
    Montana, USA
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    1

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Wow. You sure have some unsupportive family and friends. I don't know why they would be so against your doing math. It is a healthy activity that you enjoy. Do they never do anything for recreation?

    As for the effect of your enthusiasm for math on your relationship with God: God created a good and beautiful world for human beings to inhabit, and it is a world with an underlying order that we discover through mathematics. Thus, when doing math we are learning about the wonder of God's creation. For me, at least, to do that with joy and gratitude can be just as much an act of worship as singing hymns.
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathbeing View Post
    Wow. You sure have some unsupportive family and friends. I don't know why they would be so against your doing math. It is a healthy activity that you enjoy. Do they never do anything for recreation?

    As for the effect of your enthusiasm for math on your relationship with God: God created a good and beautiful world for human beings to inhabit, and it is a world with an underlying order that we discover through mathematics. Thus, when doing math we are learning about the wonder of God's creation. For me, at least, to do that with joy and gratitude can be just as much an act of worship as singing hymns.
    You see, ignorance is a crime. Most of the people who enjoy downgrading others do so because they truly hate themselves. This is very obvious.

    There is plenty of mathematics in the Bible. I will not go into detail because religious chatting is not well-received here. Think about the book of Revelation. There is plenty of math there to go around.
    Last edited by topsquark; Feb 23rd 2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Religious reference
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    488

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    No comments.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Quote Originally Posted by DenisB View Post
    No comments.
    I would like to know what you honestly think. So, a penny for your thoughts?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    488

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    In terms of God, there is plenty of mathematics in the Bible. I will not go into detail because religious chatting
    is not well-received here. Think about the book of Revelation. There is plenty of math there to go around.

    I would like to know what you honestly think. So, a penny for your thoughts?
    Keeping bible/religion out of it: it is well known (use google for confirmation)
    that mathematics started in the 6th century BC (Pythagorean mathematics).
    Therefore, it was widely available for the biblical writers to use.

    That's it from me. That'll be a nickel please...the penny has been eliminated in Canada.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Why Study/Review Math?

    Thanks everyone.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug 8th 2017, 03:44 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug 8th 2017, 03:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 2nd 2011, 08:30 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 2nd 2008, 11:43 AM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum