Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree8Thanks

Thread: 5th Grade Math: Rods

  1. #1
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    34

    5th Grade Math: Rods

    Hello everyone. One of my nephews got stuck on two questions involving rods in his 5th grade math class. He decided to text me his questions because he knows I love math. However, I do not understand this new COMMON CORE math nonsense. See picture for additional information.

    The biggest square represents one hundred unit cubes.
    The 4 vertical rods represent 10 unit cubes.
    The 5 individual pieces represent 1 unit cube each.

    Question:

    If the base ten blocks shown are divided into 5 equal groups, what should be done first?

    A) Exchange the 100 flat for 10 rods
    B) Exchange the 100 flat for 100 unit cubes
    C) Exchange 4 ten rods for 40 unit cubes
    D) Exchange the 100 flat for 7 ten rods and 30 unit cubes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5th Grade Math: Rods-sdraw_2018-11-11_09-40-52.png  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor MarkFL's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    From
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanks
    1007

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    I would exchange the 100 flat for 6 10 rods so we have a total of 10 10 rods, and 40 unit cubes so we have a total of 45 unit cubes. 10 and 45 are both divisible by 5.
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    376

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I would exchange the 100 flat for 6 10 rods so we have a total of 10 10 rods, and 40 unit cubes so we have a total of 45 unit cubes. 10 and 45 are both divisible by 5.
    Yes, I'd do that too. But I suppose, strictly speaking, the first step would be A) Exchange the 100 flat for 10 rods. Second step would be to exchange 4 ten rods for 40 unit cubes.
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor MarkFL's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    From
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanks
    1007

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Debsta View Post
    Yes, I'd do that too. But I suppose, strictly speaking, the first step would be A) Exchange the 100 flat for 10 rods. Second step would be to exchange 4 ten rods for 40 unit cubes.
    I agree...I was hoping the OP could surmise that from what I posted.
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    376

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I agree...I was hoping the OP could surmise that from what I posted.
    Ooops … sorry!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,376
    Thanks
    842
    Awards
    1

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Debsta View Post
    Ooops sorry!
    50 lashes with a wet textbook!

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    376

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    50 lashes with a wet textbook!

    -Dan
    $\displaystyle {ouch}^50$
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor MarkFL's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    From
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanks
    1007

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Debsta View Post
    Ooops sorry!
    Oh, I didn't mean you shouldn't have posted. I was just explaining my reasoning for being somewhat vague.

    Sometimes I'm vague without meaning to be, as I skip erratically from site to site.
    Thanks from topsquark and harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    34

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I would exchange the 100 flat for 6 10 rods so we have a total of 10 10 rods, and 40 unit cubes so we have a total of 45 unit cubes. 10 and 45 are both divisible by 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debsta View Post
    Yes, I'd do that too. But I suppose, strictly speaking, the first step would be A) Exchange the 100 flat for 10 rods. Second step would be to exchange 4 ten rods for 40 unit cubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I agree...I was hoping the OP could surmise that from what I posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean you shouldn't have posted. I was just explaining my reasoning for being somewhat vague.

    Sometimes I'm vague without meaning to be, as I skip erratically from site to site.
    Since I am not wanted at the MHB and Jason's site, look for my questions here.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    34

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    This question is, in my opinion, to advanced for 5th graders. Totally ridiculous!! What ever happened to regular math operations like 5 5 or 100/25 or 45 - 4 or 99 + 99?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,376
    Thanks
    842
    Awards
    1

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    This question is, in my opinion, to advanced for 5th graders. Totally ridiculous!! What ever happened to regular math operations like 5 5 or 100/25 or 45 - 4 or 99 + 99?
    What? You mean a set of binary realtions $\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$ ?

    If you dislike the problem then why did you post it??

    -Dan

    PS Probably the reason the other sites get annoyed with you is for posting so many problems. I understand you are trying to get better at doing word problems but you have posted a number of equivalent problems that you should, by now, be able to handle. In my humble opinion you are at the point where you need to find a source of confidence, not more Math problems.
    Last edited by topsquark; Nov 12th 2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    34

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    What? You mean a set of binary realtions $\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$ ?

    If you dislike the problem then why did you post it??

    -Dan

    PS Probably the reason the other sites get annoyed with you is for posting so many problems. I understand you are trying to get better at doing word problems but you have posted a number of equivalent problems that you should, by now, be able to handle. In my humble opinion you are at the point where you need to find a source of confidence, not more Math problems.
    My Christian point of view annoyed many tutors in other sites. It is really dumb for sites to have, for example, a Religion Forum, and then get upset when I express my understanding of Scripture in the correct forum. Makes no sense to me.

    As far as math questions, my main concern is to "master" the ability to convert word problems to equations. I can solve high school level equations (algebra 1 and 2). My biggest problem is trying to understand what the written words say leading to the right equation set up. I have been struggling with this stuff for years, even back in my school days.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    MHF Contributor MarkFL's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    From
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanks
    1007

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    My Christian point of view annoyed many tutors in other sites. It is really dumb for sites to have, for example, a Religion Forum, and then get upset when I express my understanding of Scripture in the correct forum. Makes no sense to me.
    I don't want to further bring drama from another site to this one, but if you wish to know the actual reason Jason banned you from his site, as least as I understood it, shoot me a PM.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    34

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I don't want to further bring drama from another site to this one, but if you wish to know the actual reason Jason banned you from his site, as least as I understood it, shoot me a PM.
    Check your PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,156
    Thanks
    461

    Re: 5th Grade Math: Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    My Christian point of view annoyed many tutors in other sites. It is really dumb for sites to have, for example, a Religion Forum, and then get upset when I express my understanding of Scripture in the correct forum. Makes no sense to me.
    Ahhh...I kinda remember you now...you were an elevator operator (or something similar), right?

    Plus you were a kinda demented "believer", quite worthy of being banned...
    warning us poor souls that the end was surely approaching fast...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 30th 2013, 09:57 PM
  2. need help with grade 9 math
    Posted in the New Users Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 20th 2012, 09:38 PM
  3. Grade ten math
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan 19th 2011, 06:53 AM
  4. 2 rods placed end to end,heat eq. Have an idea i'm wrong!
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 26th 2010, 06:38 AM
  5. Grade 9 Math Help
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 9th 2009, 09:54 AM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum