Results 1 to 3 of 3

Math Help - percentages question

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    aussie
    Posts
    2

    percentages question

    Hi Guys,

    I am trying to study for a maths test and it has been quite a long time since I done any math at school.... I am working through a practice test and have been finding resources, watching videos etc to work out most questions but there is one that I am stuck on.

    Please don't laugh as I am sure it's pretty easy for most people out there, but I am more interested in working out how to actually find the answer as opposed to what it actually is.

    If anyone is able to break it down to give me an understanding would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance



    The work a student does in class contributes 75% to his final mark. A test contributes the other 25%. The student gets a mark of 52% for his class work. What mark must he get in the test so that his final overall mark is 60%?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Mumbai
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    2

    Re: percentages question

    0.52 + \mult{0.25}{x} = 0.6

    He already has 52% from his class work, so let x% be the percentage he needs to get in test so that his total percentage will be 60%

    by solving the equation we get,

    x = \frac{0.6-0.52}{0.25}

    \therefore x = 0.32

    i.e., 32%
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    aussie
    Posts
    2

    Re: percentages question

    Thanks for the reply!! Interestingly enough, the answer sheet says he needs 84%..... I have driven myself crazy trying to work out how this was concluded as your calculations do indeed work.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 11th 2012, 09:34 AM
  2. percentages question #1.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 17th 2010, 03:27 AM
  3. Percentages question
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 10th 2010, 06:46 AM
  4. Awkward percentages question
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 12th 2009, 10:29 AM
  5. percentages question
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 14th 2009, 07:06 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum