Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - probability

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2013
    From
    Mahinog
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    5

    probability

    probability-untitled...jpg
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member

    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Lexington, MA (USA)
    Posts
    11,804
    Thanks
    695

    Re: probability

    Hello, Trefoil2727!

    In an election, there are 3 candidates.
    The results are in the ratio- A:B:C \:=\:5:3:2.
    Three votes are chosen at random.
    Find the probability that exactly 2 of them voted for the same candidate.

    I got:- (\tfrac{5}{10})^2(\tfrac{3}{10}) + (\tfrac{5}{10})^2(\tfrac{2}{10}) + (\tfrac{3}{10})^2(\tfrac{5}{10}) + (\tfrac{3}{10})^2(\tfrac{2}{10}) + (\tfrac{2}{10})^2(\tfrac{5}{10}) + (\tfrac{2}{10})^2(\tfrac{3}{10}) \;=\;\tfrac{11}{50}

    But the answer is:- \tfrac{33}{50}

    You had the right idea, but you forgot a detail . . .

    P(A,A,B) \;=\; \underbrace{{3\choose2}}_{\text{This!}}\left(\frac  {5}{10}\right)^2\left( \frac{3}{10}\right)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2013
    From
    Mahinog
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    5

    Re: probability

    Quote Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
    Hello, Trefoil2727!


    You had the right idea, but you forgot a detail . . .

    P(A,A,B) \;=\; \underbrace{{3\choose2}}_{\text{This!}}\left(\frac  {5}{10}\right)^2\left( \frac{3}{10}\right)
    but why?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    17

    Re: probability

    Quote Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
    Hello, Trefoil2727!


    You had the right idea, but you forgot a detail . . .

    P(A,A,B) \;=\; \underbrace{{3\choose2}}_{\text{This!}}\left(\frac  {5}{10}\right)^2\left( \frac{3}{10}\right)
    Doesn't the above assume(incorrectly) that after you remove an A-vote then the probability remains the same(5/10) for getting another A-vote?
    I mean it's not a 10-sides-dice that is thrown 3 times for the probability to stay the same. After you remove one A-vote(the one 5/10 of the (5/10)^2) the probability to get another A-vote should lower a bit from 5/10.

    My way of calculating the desired probability results in that the result depends on the total numbers of votes, let's say total number of votes it is 10N(we don't choose N, for the sake of simplicity to not have to deal with fractions like 5N/10, but it's equivalent whatever we choose). And it is:
    (We have 5N A-votes, 3N B-votes and 2N C-votes)



    Which is equal to:

    \frac{{6{N^2}\left( {25(5N - 1) + 21(3N - 1) + 16(2N - 1)} \right)}}{{20N(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {25(5N - 1) + 21(3N - 1) + 16(2N - 1)} \right)}}{{10(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {125N - 25 + 63N - 21 + 32N - 16} \right)}}{{10(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {220N - 62} \right)}}{{10(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {110N - 31} \right)}}{{5(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}}

    That can't be simplified any more and it depends on the value of N. The value of the votes. And it is different if we talk about 10 voters or 100.
    Am i mistaken?
    Last edited by ChessTal; July 21st 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    From
    Erewhon
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    127

    Re: probability

    Quote Originally Posted by ChessTal View Post
    Doesn't the above assume(incorrectly) that after you remove an A-vote then the probability remains the same(5/10) for getting another A-vote?
    I mean it's not a 10-sides-dice that is thrown 3 times for the probability to stay the same. After you remove one A-vote(the one 5/10 of the (5/10)^2) the probability to get another A-vote should lower a bit from 5/10.

    My way of calculating the desired probability results in that the result depends on the total numbers of votes, let's say total number of votes it is 10N(we don't choose N, for the sake of simplicity to not have to deal with fractions like 5N/10, but it's equivalent whatever we choose). And it is:
    (We have 5N A-votes, 3N B-votes and 2N C-votes)



    Which is equal to:

    \frac{{6{N^2}\left( {25(5N - 1) + 21(3N - 1) + 16(2N - 1)} \right)}}{{20N(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {25(5N - 1) + 21(3N - 1) + 16(2N - 1)} \right)}}{{10(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {125N - 25 + 63N - 21 + 32N - 16} \right)}}{{10(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {220N - 62} \right)}}{{10(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}} =

    \frac{{3N\left( {110N - 31} \right)}}{{5(10N - 1)(10N - 2)}}

    That can't be simplified any more and it depends on the value of N. The value of the votes. And it is different if we talk about 10 voters or 100.
    Am i mistaken?
    Since you are not given the number of voters, you should assume it is large. In this context large means treat it as though it is infinite, which gives you the same results as sampling with replacement for this type of problem.

    .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    17

    Re: probability

    Quote Originally Posted by zzephod View Post
    In this context large means treat it as though it is infinite, which gives you the same results as sampling with replacement for this type of problem.

    .
    Obviously, but i don't find quite logical the idea of an infinite number of voters. If i would be given the problem in its initial form and have been told later on that i should have assumed infinite number of voters so the 5:3:2 ratio ALWAYS holds, then i would kill the problem author.
    Last edited by ChessTal; July 21st 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2013
    From
    London
    Posts
    12

    Re: probability

    Thanks for this solution.. It build my concept of probability..
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 6th 2013, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 5th 2013, 07:32 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 11th 2012, 05:42 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 29th 2010, 07:29 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 15th 2009, 06:30 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum