How much steam should be introduced into the vessel?
Steam (water vapor) at 100 degrees C enters an insulated vessel containing 100 g of ice at 0 degrees C. How much steam must be introduced into the vessel so that equilibrium 50 g of the ice has melted and 50 g of the ice remains?
Specific heat of water = 4.184 J/K g
Latent heat of fusion of ice = 333 J/g
Latent heat of vaporization of water = 2260 J/g
Re: How much steam should be introduced into the vessel?
1. I'll convert all mass measures into kg, energy into kJ.
Originally Posted by Hamzawesome
2. Melting 0.05 kg of ice needs
3. When steam condensates to water you have water of a temperature of 100°C. This hot water cools down to 0°C melting the ice too!
4. Solve for m (= mass of steam)
5. I've got 0.0435 kg = 43.5 g