I am working my way through 'How to pass advanced numeracy tests' book, and have some confusion understang the following questions, would be great if someone could briefly explain:
- im sure i will post fdurther question i am finding difficult to work out, but thee 2 for now please.
by the way i have the answers, i just want to understand the working out, its been almost 6 years since i finished high school / studied maths
1: How is "work out 3.142 as a fraction?" = 22/7 ?
how would you work this out?
2. Frequency table
Here is the table: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
- this is exactly how it is shown in the book.- there is no further information.
1. Which group has the highest frequency?
2. What is the median result?
Here are the answetrs:
1. The 70-79 Group (group 7)
2. 65 (there are 16 entries so it is between the 8 and 9 results which are both 65)
Now here is my confusion:
1. I created a freq table which showed group 7 had the highest freq, but why does it say the 70-79 group? there was no information saying the list of numbers where in tens, so why are they now 70-79?
2. I understand the median is the middke figure so number 8 & 9 (2 middle numbers) are 4& 5, so the median should be 4.5? even if they use the middle 'group' thats 7 and 8 = 7.5
So how on earth did they get 65, none of the numbers go over 9, so very confused ??
3. Solve the following equation:
(4 to the power of 2 - 3 to thre power of 2) - 2 to the power of 4 =
so i think simple, (16 - 9) - 16 = -9
but no the answer = 23 = 16 + 9 = 23
Why is it now a Plus instead of a Minus?