Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - Need someone to confirm my answer to Chem/Math problem.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13

    Need someone to confirm my answer to Chem/Math problem.

    I don't have the answer key, so I need someone to check and tell me if I got it right. I probably got it wrong, but there is a slim chance I might have gotten this one right. And please check if I got the rounding off of the numbers right because I am sort of unsure of the rules (chemistry rules in rounding off digits).

    Problem is:
    "What mass of lime CaO can be obtained by heating 125 kg of limestone that is 95.0% by mass CaCO3"

    "CaCO3 = CaO = CO2"

    - Note: the numbers 3 and 2 are subscript and indicate the amount of Oxygen.

    The answer I get is 70100g/mol or 7.01x10^4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Pim
    Pim is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    91
    If you'd like people to take a look if your calculation is correct, but you don't post the calculation, there is absolutely no way we can check it.

    Secondly, 70100g/mole would mean 1 mole weighs over 70 kilogram. That is in no way possible. Hence the need to post the steps you took to get there.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13
    Hold on...


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Is this any good?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    I don't have the answer key, so I need someone to check and tell me if I got it right. I probably got it wrong, but there is a slim chance I might have gotten this one right. And please check if I got the rounding off of the numbers right because I am sort of unsure of the rules (chemistry rules in rounding off digits).

    Problem is:
    "What mass of lime CaO can be obtained by heating 125 kg of limestone that is 95.0% by mass CaCO3"
    first note that you are working with 118.75 kg = 118750 g of \displaystyle CaCO_3 (95% of the limestone sample)

    "CaCO3 = CaO = CO2"
    huh??

    - Note: the numbers 3 and 2 are subscript and indicate the amount of Oxygen.

    The answer I get is 70100g/mol or 7.01x10^4
    first, they didn't ask you for molar mass...secondly, i got 66 500 g CaO can be made. The Ca is the limiting reagent.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Hold on...


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Is this any good?
    Nope. first note that the moles in your calculations were canceled. how is it they ended up in your answer? and remember, you don't have 125 kg of the relevant sample. only 95% of it is usable

    other than that, your process was correct
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    3
    you have not factored in that only 95% of the mass of the limestone is CaCO3. ie. 118.75kg CaCO3

    firstly, work out how many mol CaCO3 you have using n(CaCO3)=m(CaCO3)/M(CaCO3)

    then using n(CaCO3) = n(CaO) = m(CaO)/M(CaO)

    rearrange to give m(CaO) = n(CaO) * M(CaO)

    Does that make sense?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    huh??
    Sorry, CaCO3 is actually the reactant, that is heated, while CO2 and CaO are the products.

    The book I am using does not show how to solve a problem such as this, but I think I got this.
    Is this right, it's very close to the answer you guys are getting...



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    It's a bit messy, but keep in mind that I just woke up, and I'm not really a morning person.

    Okay, as you can see that I'm a bit off with the rounding off of the digits; if I round off the CaCO4 kg to three digits (because of the 125g value) then I get a result of 66679. Is that the right method?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Sorry, CaCO3 is actually the reactant, that is heated, while CO2 and CaO are the products.

    The book I am using does not show how to solve a problem such as this, but I think I got this.
    Is this right, it's very close to the answer you guys are getting...



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    It's a bit messy, but keep in mind that I just woke up, and I'm not really a morning person.

    Okay, as you can see that I'm a bit off with the rounding off of the digits; if I round off the CaCO4 kg to three digits (because of the 125g value) then I get a result of 66679. Is that the right method?
    Not a morning person either. the morning is just over though.

    anyway, yes, you are correct. I did more rounding than you did. I used whole numbers for the molar masses. now you just need to work on not making such a mess when you put your answer down on paper
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    Not a morning person either. the morning is just over though.

    anyway, yes, you are correct. I did more rounding than you did. I used whole numbers for the molar masses. now you just need to work on not making such a mess when you put your answer down on paper
    Mornings for me are in the 12:00 - 1:00 range (pm)... LOL
    Anyway, so you are saying that my rounding off that led to 66679 is correct (there are some silly rules for this in Chem), or did you mean the one I did on the paper?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Mornings for me are in the 12:00 - 1:00 range (pm)... LOL
    Anyway, so you are saying that my rounding off that led to 66679 is correct (there are some silly rules for this in Chem), or did you mean the one I did on the paper?
    well, that wasn't the answer you got... but anyway, i am saying the discrepancy between your answer and mine is that i rounded more than you did. i don't think it would be a big deal here. your answer is fine and would probably be the more accepted one.

    in general though, you want your answer to use and maintain the least amount of significant figures given in the problem. your answer is fine, don't worry about it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 24th 2010, 05:19 PM
  2. A Chem Math Problem
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 3rd 2008, 02:32 PM
  3. [SOLVED] Confirm my answer too please!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 8th 2008, 02:28 PM
  4. Help to confirm an answer
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 11th 2007, 01:27 PM
  5. Differential Equation:Confirm my answer
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 16th 2007, 08:06 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum