Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Assorted questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member Soldja Soul3ss's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    From
    Algebra hell
    Posts
    32

    Assorted questions

    3. The New York Yankees scored the following number of runs over a period of 7 games. (8, 6, 7, 7, 3, 12, 10) Which one of the following statements shown below is true?
    A. Mean > Mode
    B. Median > Mean
    C. Range = Median
    D. Mode > Median

    5. The following numbers represent the Math OGT scores of 8 students.(247, 253, 310, 350, 400, 460, 480, 495) The 8th student is unhappy with her score of 495 and takes an OGT prep course. She improves her score from a 495 to a 540. Which of the following statements is NOT true if the 8th student's score of 540 replaces the score of 483 in the data set?
    A. The median decreases.
    B. The median remains constant.
    C. The range increases.
    D. The median increases.

    11. There is a bag of 8 marbles. There are 5 yellow and 3 red marbles. If you select 1 marble and choose another without replacing the first marble, what is the probability of selecting 1 yellow marble and 1 red marble?
    A. 10/19
    B. 15/16
    C. 15/28
    D. 1/213.

    The borders of a rectangle are defined by the following lines. They are y=5; y=1; x=0; x=-3. A triangle within the rectangle is defined by the lines x=0; y=1; and y=x+4. If you throw a dart at the rectangle (and you are guaranteed to hit it), what is the probability that the dart lands in the triangle?
    A. 5/8
    B. 1/2
    C. 3/8
    D. 1
    These questions are quite confusing to me, anyone know how to go about solving these? Thanx
    Last edited by Soldja Soul3ss; May 21st 2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldja Soul3ss View Post
    3. The New York Yankees scored the following number of runs over a period of 7 games. (8, 6, 7, 7, 3, 12, 10) Which one of the following statements shown below is true?
    A. Mean > Mode
    B. Median > Mean
    C. Range = Median
    D. Mode > Median
    "A" is certainly true, mean = 7.57, amd mode = 7. (The mode of a data set or distribution is the most frequently occuring value in the data set)

    If you look up the definitions of the terms you will find that none of the
    others are true.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldja Soul3ss View Post
    5. The following numbers represent the Math OGT scores of 8 students.(247, 253, 310, 350, 400, 460, 480, 495) The 8th student is unhappy with her score of 495 and takes an OGT prep course. She improves her score from a 495 to a 540. Which of the following statements is NOT true if the 8th student's score of 540 replaces the score of 483 in the data set?
    A. The median decreases.
    B. The median remains constant.
    C. The range increases.
    D. The median increases.
    When the largest value increases the median (a value that divides the data
    into two sets of equal size) always remains the same, so A is false.

    Hence B is true.

    The range is the difference between the largest and smallest value, and so
    increases so C is true.

    We have already delt with D, which is false.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldja Soul3ss View Post
    11. There is a bag of 8 marbles. There are 5 yellow and 3 red marbles. If you select 1 marble and choose another without replacing the first marble, what is the probability of selecting 1 yellow marble and 1 red marble?
    A. 10/19
    B. 15/16
    C. 15/28
    D. 1/213.
    There are two ways of doing this:

    The first can be yellow and the second red which has probability (5/8)*(3/7)
    since there are 5 favourable outcomes from 8 (the number of marbles in the
    bag) for the first, and 3 favourable outcomes from 7 (as there are now only 7
    marbles in the bag) for the second.

    The first can be yellow and the second red which has probability (3/8)*(5/7)
    since there are 5 favourable outcomes from 8 (the number of marbles in the
    bag) for the first, and 3 favourable outcomes from 7 (as there are now only 7
    marbles in the bag) for the second.

    So the final probability required is the sum of these:

    p=(5/8)*(3/7) + (3/8)*(5/7) = 2 (3*5)/(7*8)

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldja Soul3ss View Post
    The borders of a rectangle are defined by the following lines. They are y=5; y=1; x=0; x=-3. A triangle within the rectangle is defined by the lines x=0; y=1; and y=x+4. If you throw a dart at the rectangle (and you are guaranteed to hit it), what is the probability that the dart lands in the triangle?
    A. 5/8
    B. 1/2
    C. 3/8
    D. 1
    This is asking for the fraction of the area of the rectangle that is in the
    triangle. Try do do a sketch of the regions described, you will then find the
    answer obvious.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Junior Member Soldja Soul3ss's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    From
    Algebra hell
    Posts
    32
    Thanx capt for breaking down the answers and things, really appreciate it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Assorted questions which look like assessed work
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 6th 2011, 04:50 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 23rd 2009, 04:48 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 19th 2008, 07:18 PM
  4. Assorted Signed numers probs
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 9th 2007, 03:58 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 1st 2005, 01:53 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum