Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Physics- Momentum question

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    21

    Physics- Momentum question

    A A 235 KG ball traveling 25 m/s strikes a second ball with a mass of 245 Kg moving at a speed of 35 m/s. They become stuck together and travel in a straight line. How fast are they moving after they become entangled?
    _

    Don't think I am doing this right, but I tried...

    (235 / 480)*(60)= 29.38 m/s

    As

    (Ma+Mb)* V'= Pfinal
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,863
    Thanks
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Caturdayz View Post
    A A 235 KG ball traveling 25 m/s strikes a second ball with a mass of 245 Kg moving at a speed of 35 m/s. They become stuck together and travel in a straight line. How fast are they moving after they become entangled?
    _

    Don't think I am doing this right, but I tried...

    (235 / 480)*(60)= 29.38 m/s

    As

    (Ma+Mb)* V'= Pfinal
    since momentum is a vector ... initial directions of motion for each ball?
    Last edited by skeeter; December 16th 2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    4
    conservation of momentum?
    ma+m'b=Mc
    i)assuming they are travelling towards each other;
    m=235
    a=25 travelling left

    m'=245
    b=-35 travelling right

    235(25)+245(-35)=480c
    c=-5.625 so travelling right

    ii)assuming they are travelling in the same direction;

    m=235
    a=25 travelling left

    m'=245
    b=35 travelling left

    but m' starts behind m

    235(25)+245(35)=480c
    c=30.1
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Krahl View Post
    conservation of momentum?
    ma+m'b=Mc
    i)assuming they are travelling towards each other;
    m=235
    a=25 travelling left

    m'=245
    b=-35 travelling right

    235(25)+245(-35)=480c
    c=-5.625 so travelling right

    ii)assuming they are travelling in the same direction;

    m=235
    a=25 travelling left

    m'=245
    b=35 travelling left

    but m' starts behind m

    235(25)+245(35)=480c
    c=30.1
    The problem with your solution is that you are assuming the first ball is always moving towards the left. If this is true, then your solution is impossible because in the first case it asserts that the 245 g mass is moving to the right... that means in the 2nd case, the 245 g mass is moving ahead of the 235 g mass making the collision impossible seeing as the 245 g mass is moving faster. Therefore, your first answer is wrong: the masses will actually move in the left direction. (c = + 5.625)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    4
    @ vitruvian
    check again.
    for the first one you can always choose another frame of reference so that right is left its the same. the thing is i defined which ball is travelling in which direction. so my answer is actually saying 5.625 in the direction of the 245kg ball where as in your answer we dont know.

    in the second one
    so your saying if i go in a straight line at 35mph and you are in front at 25mph i wouldnt reach you?

    since we know they travel in a straight line and strike , its gotta be one of these two cases
    Last edited by Krahl; December 23rd 2009 at 07:21 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Krahl View Post
    @ vitruvian
    check again.
    for the first one you can always choose another frame of reference so that right is left its the same. the thing is i defined which ball is travelling in which direction. so my answer is actually saying 5.625 in the direction of the 245kg ball where as in your answer we dont know.
    I misread your sign convention on that one, I apologise for the error.

    in the second one
    so your saying if i go in a straight line at 35mph and you are in front at 25mph i wouldnt reach you?

    since we know they travel in a straight line and strike , its gotta be one of these two cases
    I was infering quite the opposite. Once again, I misread your sign convention and incorrectly assumed you were working with the opposite scenario.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    4
    no harm done
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Momentum and collisions question.
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 24th 2011, 12:06 AM
  2. Impulse Momentum + Thermal Physics
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 9th 2010, 08:06 AM
  3. Physics Problems: Conservation of Momentum
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 21st 2009, 08:28 PM
  4. Mechanics - Momentum question
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 9th 2008, 12:32 AM
  5. Dynamics question involving impulse momentum
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 20th 2008, 06:21 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum