Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - dividing fractions

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897

    dividing fractions

    hi this is my question:
    3 divided 1 \frac{1}{4}

    if u can help me please post, thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    West Malaysia
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    hi this is my question:
    3 divided 1 \frac{1}{4}

    if u can help me please post, thanks
    3 / \frac{5}{4}

    So 3\times \frac{4}{5}=\frac{12}{5}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by mathaddict View Post
    3 / \frac{5}{4}

    So 3\times \frac{4}{5}=\frac{12}{5}
    so 3/ \frac{5}{4}

    \frac{3}{1} X \frac{4}{5} = \frac{12}{5}, would i simplify it down? i got that as the answer but i then did it on a calculator and it came up with 3 \frac{3}{4} as the answer so i wasn't sure
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    West Malaysia
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    so 3/ \frac{5}{4}

    \frac{3}{1} X \frac{4}{5} = \frac{12}{5}, would i simplify it down? i got that as the answer but i then did it on a calculator and it came up with 3 \frac{3}{4} as the answer so i wasn't sure
    oh you are correct . When you convert 3\frac{3}{4} to improper fraction ie \frac{12}{5}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by mathaddict View Post
    oh you are correct . When you convert 3\frac{3}{4} to improper fraction ie \frac{12}{5}

    thanks alot, so would 1 \frac{1}{2} /2 = \frac{4}{3}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    West Malaysia
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    thanks alot, so would 1 \frac{1}{2} /2 = \frac{4}{3}
    Unfortunately no . (3/2)/2=3/2 x 1/2 =3/4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by mathaddict View Post
    Unfortunately no . (3/2)/2=3/2 x 1/2 =3/4

    haven't you got to flip the \frac{3}{2} so that it would be,
    \frac{2}{3} X \frac{2}{1} = \frac{4}{3}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    West Malaysia
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    haven't you got to flip the \frac{3}{2} so that it would be,
    \frac{2}{3} X \frac{2}{1} = \frac{4}{3}
    Oh no .. you don flip 3/2 , you flip the one that is being divided (divisor) so in this case , 2 is being divided so you flip 2.

    Ex: 3/(1/2)=3x2

    Since 1/2 is being divided , so you flip it and NOT 3.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by mathaddict View Post
    Oh no .. you don flip 3/2 , you flip the one that is being divided (divisor) so in this case , 2 is being divided so you flip 2.

    Ex: 3/(1/2)=3x2

    Since 1/2 is being divided , so you flip it and NOT 3.

    thanks alot i understand now!!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Dividing Fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 2nd 2011, 05:29 AM
  2. dividing fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: January 16th 2009, 10:54 PM
  3. Dividing fractions
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 3rd 2008, 01:01 AM
  4. Dividing fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 3rd 2007, 06:02 AM
  5. dividing fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 12th 2007, 12:39 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum