Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Precalculus Taught in Different Courses

  1. #1
    Banned
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    From
    USA
    Posts
    126

    Precalculus Taught in Different Courses

    Most colleges and high schools teach precalculus. However, I find that high schools, in particular, cover most precalculus topics in a course titled algebra 2 and trigonometry. So, my question is, why is precalculus needed anyway?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,061
    Thanks
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    Most colleges and high schools teach precalculus. However, I find that high schools, in particular, cover most precalculus topics in a course titled algebra 2 and trigonometry. So, my question is, why is precalculus needed anyway?
    precalculus is more of a combination of trigonometry and functional analysis beyond that covered in algebra 2.

    in fact, before it was called precalculus, the requisite courses were a semester of trigonometry and another semester course called functional analysis/analytical geometry.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Banned
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    From
    USA
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    precalculus is more of a combination of trigonometry and functional analysis beyond that covered in algebra 2.

    in fact, before it was called precalculus, the requisite courses were a semester of trigonometry and another semester course called functional analysis/analytical geometry.
    If that is the case, then what is the difference between precalculus and college algebra?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,061
    Thanks
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    If that is the case, then what is the difference between precalculus and college algebra?
    precalculus is a whole year course that includes trig ... college algebra is a single semester course dealing only with algebra.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 15th 2011, 06:48 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 9th 2009, 11:01 AM
  3. MIT courses
    Posted in the Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 22nd 2009, 01:44 PM
  4. Why isn't Stokes Theorem taught as follows?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 1st 2007, 03:24 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 22nd 2005, 04:09 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum