Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Math Help - Anybody interested in a Quadratic Solver?

  1. #31
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    What kind of a tool are you planning to turn it into?
    I might be interested in helping with it.
    Well currently it features a quadratic solver, logs to any base, it can convert expressions into log form, a rad to deg converter and vice versa, compound interest, a basic trig calculator(rad and deg supported), and the decimal to binary converter.

    If you can help I'd appreciate it. (I'm using Delphi 7 by the way)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #32
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,212
    Thanks
    419
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DivideBy0 View Post
    Hold on, how could I only just have noticed it?!

    Some cubics have three solutions, yet that formula will always only yield 1!

    However in those cases it does work
    Well, that's easy to fix. Once janvdl has one solution to the cubic he can program his solver to do the division to reduce it to a quadratic, which his program can already do.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #33
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    Well, that's easy to fix. Once janvdl has one solution to the cubic he can program his solver to do the division to reduce it to a quadratic, which his program can already do.

    -Dan
    I am starting work on the cubic solver today. I am not able to post a lot on MHF anymore because the ADSL cap on my line is finished

    But I'll keep everyone informed on how it's progressing.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #34
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    The cubic solver seems to be working okay now. I spent a bit of time on the exponent function of the program, because it didn't allow for a negative base, but it's fixed now.

    Anyway, i still face one problem. Lets say we only have the function x^3 = 0 then the co-efficients of x^2 and x are zero. But then i am faced with "Division by Zero" errors. Does anyone know how to make the application ignore such errors?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #35
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Okay, this is like a Beta Version for now, as the cubic solver still has a few bugs that need to be sorted out, and it could do with some enhancement.

    Nevertheless, let me know what you guys think of this version.

    Download Math Tool 3
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #36
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    Okay, this is like a Beta Version for now, as the cubic solver still has a few bugs that need to be sorted out, and it could do with some enhancement.

    Nevertheless, let me know what you guys think of this version.
    Good morning and a happy New Year!

    I've played around with your program and it works fine. Congratulation!

    Only one point: Please check the procedures calculating angles in degrees and in radians. In my opinion you maybe have mixed them up.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #37
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    ...In my opinion you maybe have mixed them up.
    Hello,

    only to demonstrate what I meant:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody interested in a Quadratic Solver?-mathtool3_error.jpg  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #38
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    Good morning and a happy New Year!

    I've played around with your program and it works fine. Congratulation!

    Only one point: Please check the procedures calculating angles in degrees and in radians. In my opinion you maybe have mixed them up.
    May you have a happy and prosperous new year too, Earboth

    Thanks for the spot, I'll recheck the code.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #39
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Well here's Math Tool 3.4

    With a brand new look as well as a graphing tool(Thanks Earboth!)

    Download Math Tool 3.4 here
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #40
    GAMMA Mathematics
    colby2152's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,172
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    Well here's Math Tool 3.4

    With a brand new look as well as a graphing tool(Thanks Earboth!)

    Download Math Tool 3.4 here
    Wow, that's pretty good janvdl! You should look into expanding your function grapher for your next edition!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #41
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by colby2152 View Post
    Wow, that's pretty good janvdl! You should look into expanding your function grapher for your next edition!
    All credit to Earboth for the function grapher. He gave me the complete source code to compile into the application.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #42
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    i guess we can't call it a quadratic solver anymore... what would be a good name?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #43
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    I just downloaded the latest version. the tool is looking good, janvdl!

    my thoughts:

    quadratic solver: perfect

    cubic solver: i still don't like the fact that it gives only one solution and leaves it to the user to find the other two, which he/she may have to do long division to find. this will be a pain, especially if the first root given is complex or irrational

    logarithms: it cannot find the natural log...that's like the most common log in calculus. we must fix this. you need to tell it how to recognize e. i don't know the best way to do this for this utility. it may be difficult to code the limit definition and tell the tool how to evaluate it. it may suffice to just input the number, to like 30 decimal places or something, i don't know. how did you code pi?

    compound interest: i won't go as far as to say perfect, i didn't play around with this feature that much, but it seems to do the job. the only suggestion i have off-hand is why don't you teach it to solve for any of the unknowns. currently, it can only solve for A, but what if i had A and wanted to solve for the interest rate?

    degrees/radians: you still have these mixed up, i think you forgot earboth's suggestion here. by the way, the program cannot recognize "pi," i guess we have to use the decimal expansion. how many decimal places did you use to define pi?

    trig calculator: perfect so far. you may want to teach it how to do the inverse trig functions, if possible. as well as code secant, cosecant and cotangent, if you have time

    binary converter: perfect. you may want to teach it to go the other way though, that is, from binary to decimal

    grapher: the picture is too small. i like how you graphed the derivative and second derivative as well. but maybe there should be an option to turn this feature off, probably not necessary though

    About: nice! i like the what's new section. it gives us a report on how the utility has evolved

    Math Help Forum: who doesn't like MHF?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #44
    GAMMA Mathematics
    colby2152's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,172
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    i guess we can't call it a quadratic solver anymore... what would be a good name?
    MHF QuickSolver
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #45
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    quadratic solver: perfect
    Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    cubic solver: i still don't like the fact that it gives only one solution and leaves it to the user to find the other two, which he/she may have to do long division to find. this will be a pain, especially if the first root given is complex or irrational
    I found the other two formulae for the other 2 roots, but it works with complex roots and is much different from the first formula that DivideBy0 gave me. And I dont really know how to work with that "i" thing in complex roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    logarithms: it cannot find the natural log...that's like the most common log in calculus. we must fix this. you need to tell it how to recognize e. i don't know the best way to do this for this utility. it may be difficult to code the limit definition and tell the tool how to evaluate it. it may suffice to just input the number, to like 30 decimal places or something, i don't know.
    That will be easy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    how did you code pi?
    function Pi (Extended)
    begin
    Result := 3.1415... (I'm not going to type all 30 decimal places here)
    end;
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    compound interest: i won't go as far as to say perfect, i didn't play around with this feature that much, but it seems to do the job. the only suggestion i have off-hand is why don't you teach it to solve for any of the unknowns. currently, it can only solve for A, but what if i had A and wanted to solve for the interest rate?
    That is very possible, and not hard to do either, just requires a bit of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    degrees/radians: you still have these mixed up, i think you forgot earboth's suggestion here. by the way, the program cannot recognize "pi," i guess we have to use the decimal expansion. how many decimal places did you use to define pi?
    I looked it up on the internet and my formulae look correct. But I will purposefully "mix them up" in the next version. Or I will post the code here. Chances are I did something stupid again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    trig calculator: perfect so far. you may want to teach it how to do the inverse trig functions, if possible. as well as code secant, cosecant and cotangent, if you have time
    Tried doing so. Never arrived at the original value again. I have no idea why that happened. It's already programmed, just hidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    binary converter: perfect. you may want to teach it to go the other way though, that is, from binary to decimal
    Sure, I dont think that would be too hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    grapher: the picture is too small. i like how you graphed the derivative and second derivative as well. but maybe there should be an option to turn this feature off, probably not necessary though
    I kind of wanted everything neatly in one size form, but I have to agree, the picture is a little small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    About: nice! i like the what's new section. it gives us a report on how the utility has evolved
    Thought you might find it interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    Math Help Forum: who doesn't like MHF?
    I quite agree.
    Last edited by janvdl; January 10th 2008 at 01:12 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Complex Solver
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 10th 2011, 03:24 AM
  2. Interested in Logic But need HELP
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 17th 2010, 11:49 AM
  3. Cubic Solver
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 10th 2009, 04:10 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 2nd 2006, 03:00 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum