Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: MathType adding extra space between lines after inserting inline formula in MS Word.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    Slovakia
    Posts
    2

    MathType adding extra space between lines after inserting inline formula in MS Word.

    I have got a question regarding the MathType equation editor software in MS Word. After adding an inline formula (variable with subscript), the MathType adds some extra space between the line in which the formula is and the following line (see Fig. 1). When doing the same thing with MS Equation editor, no extra space is added (see Fig. 2). I don't like the extra space MathType adds but I don't want to go back to using MS Equation editor.
    Fig. 1: θj inserted using MathType.

    Fig. 2: θj inserted using MS Equation editor.

    How to prevent MathType adding the extra space between the lines?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    22,413
    Thanks
    3303
    Awards
    1

    Re: MathType adding extra space between lines after inserting inline formula in MS Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by peterVa View Post
    I have got a question regarding the MathType equation editor software in MS Word. After adding an inline formula (variable with subscript), the MathType adds some extra space between the line in which the formula is and the following line (see Fig. 1). When doing the same thing with MS Equation editor, no extra space is added (see Fig. 2). I don't like the extra space MathType adds but I don't want to go back to using MS Equation editor.
    Fig. 1: θj inserted using MathType.

    Fig. 2: θj inserted using MS Equation editor.

    How to prevent MathType adding the extra space between the lines?
    Quite frankly, I cannot see what in the world you are on about. What extra space? I do not see it.

    Why would anyone use MathType with Word? I do use use MathType to generate TeX coding for direct use in web posting.

    For publishing, the full version of MathType has many options for formatting.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks
    901
    Awards
    1

    Re: MathType adding extra space between lines after inserting inline formula in MS Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Quite frankly, I cannot see what in the world you are on about. What extra space? I do not see it.

    Why would anyone use MathType with Word? I do use use MathType to generate TeX coding for direct use in web posting.

    For publishing, the full version of MathType has many options for formatting.
    In the example at the top the spacing between lines 2 and 3 is larger than the spacing between lines 1 and 2.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    Slovakia
    Posts
    2

    Re: MathType adding extra space between lines after inserting inline formula in MS Wo

    I need to use ms word since I am writing an article into a scientific journal and they require the articles to be send in ms word format. The extra space between the lines is not possible to overlook (see Fig. 1 and compare it with Fig. 2). It looks ugly when the distance between lines is not equal.
    So this is what I want:
    - use mathtype to insert inline equations but avoiding adding extra space between lines, which is not necessary since ms equation editor can do it without it (I presume that mathtype is more advanced than ms eq. and so it should be able to do it as well).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    22,413
    Thanks
    3303
    Awards
    1

    Re: MathType adding extra space between lines after inserting inline formula in MS Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    In the example at the top the spacing between lines 2 and 3 is larger than the spacing between lines 1 and 2.
    I am still not sure that I see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterVa View Post
    I need to use ms word since I am writing an article into a scientific journal and they require the articles to be send in ms word format. The extra space between the lines is not possible to overlook (see Fig. 1 and compare it with Fig. 2). It looks ugly when the distance between lines is not equal.
    So this is what I want:
    - use mathtype to insert inline equations but avoiding adding extra space between lines, which is not necessary since ms equation editor can do it without it (I presume that mathtype is more advanced than ms eq. and so it should be able to do it as well).
    I suggest that may be a function of Word and not MathType. It may have to do with a 'linefeed' code??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. compond angle formula and adding ac currents?
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 9th 2010, 03:43 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 11th 2009, 12:41 PM
  3. Inline function
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 9th 2009, 12:21 AM
  4. Adding new lines
    Posted in the LaTeX Help Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 3rd 2008, 09:49 AM
  5. Extra credit word problem
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 27th 2006, 01:21 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum