Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Math program purchase advice

  1. #1
    Senior Member bugatti79's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    461

    Math program purchase advice

    Hi All,

    I have a query regarding purchasing a suitable math program to aid me in understanding mathematics. I do not know the pros and cons of the following programs: Mathlab, Mathematica, Derive, Maple. Perhaps there are others.


    I do not have sufficient experience in using math programs so I would like some advice on purchasing a program that has the following features.



    • User friendly, user inputs in the form of drop down menu’s, clickables etc– I don’t have time to learn programming language like in Matlab etc
    • Student Edition available. ( I work full time and study part time.)
    • Plot graphical solutions ie, differential equations both ordinary and partial. Coming from an engineering background, I would like to visualise what I am actually solving.
    • Cover topics such as
      • Partial and ordin Diff eqns
      • Calculus
      • Statistics
      • Fourier transforms
      • Topics in Quantum Mechanics

    • And maybe as a nice feature…a downloadable version for smart phones etc so I can show off to my friends J
    I was looking at Maple which seems like a nice package for 100euro student edition. I dont know if this has smart phone version.

    Any comments suggestions will be appreciated so that I may purchase with confidence.


    Thanks
    Bugatti
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti79 View Post
    Hi All,

    I have a query regarding purchasing a suitable math program to aid me in understanding mathematics. I do not know the pros and cons of the following programs: Mathlab, Mathematica, Derive, Maple. Perhaps there are others.


    I do not have sufficient experience in using math programs so I would like some advice on purchasing a program that has the following features.



    • User friendly, user inputs in the form of drop down menu’s, clickables etc– I don’t have time to learn programming language like in Matlab etc
    • Student Edition available. ( I work full time and study part time.)
    • Plot graphical solutions ie, differential equations both ordinary and partial. Coming from an engineering background, I would like to visualise what I am actually solving.
    • Cover topics such as
      • Partial and ordin Diff eqns
      • Calculus
      • Statistics
      • Fourier transforms
      • Topics in Quantum Mechanics

    • And maybe as a nice feature…a downloadable version for smart phones etc so I can show off to my friends J
    I was looking at Maple which seems like a nice package for 100euro student edition. I dont know if this has smart phone version.

    Any comments suggestions will be appreciated so that I may purchase with confidence.


    Thanks
    Bugatti
    I don't recomend it for a number of reasons, but it sounds like you want MathCad

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member bugatti79's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    I don't recomend it for a number of reasons, but it sounds like you want MathCad

    CB
    Hi,

    Can you comment on why I should 'not' purchase a math program? Sounds counter intuitive to me...

    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti79 View Post
    Hi,

    Can you comment on why I should 'not' purchase a math program? Sounds counter intuitive to me...

    Thanks
    I said I don't recomend it because it is really only a toy system compared to Mathlab, Mathematica and Maple. Also it is no longer really under active development.

    But you say you don't want to learn to program and you are from an engineering backgound. So it is for you (or rather you are the target demographic).

    Another thing to consider is that you are not restricted to comercial software. Without your conditions you could have something like Matlab or Mathematics/Maple that is open source.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member bugatti79's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    I said I don't recomend it because it is really only a toy system compared to Mathlab, Mathematica and Maple. Also it is no longer really under active development.

    But you say you don't want to learn to program and you are from an engineering backgound. So it is for you (or rather you are the target demographic).

    Another thing to consider is that you are not restricted to comercial software. Without your conditions you could have something like Matlab or Mathematics/Maple that is open source.

    CB
    So I take it that mathematica and Maple are language based software but more powerful than Mathcad. I guess if programming is part of the learning curve to get the most out of math systems then so be it...I will learn. Maple sound good to me on that basis...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 25th 2011, 04:52 PM
  2. Is there a bug in this math program?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 21st 2010, 04:50 PM
  3. Simple Math Program
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 4th 2009, 07:17 PM
  4. Mental math program
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 7th 2008, 12:55 PM
  5. Test Tommorow, Urgent Discrete Math advice needed.
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 20th 2008, 08:09 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum