Results 1 to 11 of 11

Math Help - kind of software...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    47

    kind of software...

    what is the title of mathematics software you're using?? share it please!! ^_^

    THANKS ^_^!!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by cutiemike1 View Post
    what is the title of mathematics software you're using?? share it please!! ^_^

    THANKS ^_^!!!
    This is a vague question.

    Maxima (computer algebra)
    Derive (computer algebra - being phase out in favour of Maxima)
    Matlab (numerical computation if I have no option)
    FreeMat (as a substitute for Matlab on my computers)
    Euler (numerical computation and presentation graphs)
    Python (numpy/scipy, testing to see if can replace Euler)
    C (for embeded DSP)
    OpenOffice (drawing diagrams)
    LyX/LaTeX (mathematical report writing)
    Gnumeric (statistical/numeric spreadsheet modelling)
    PaintShopPro v4 (preparing illurstrations for reports)
    PDF viewers (viewing the output of LyX/LaTeX)
    GhostScript/GhostView (viewing the output of LyX/LaTeX and manipulating eps)

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member yeKciM's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by cutiemike1 View Post
    what is the title of mathematics software you're using?? share it please!! ^_^

    THANKS ^_^!!!
    use you head software hehehehe

    Microsoft math (nice for work with real and complex numbers, and 2D/3D ploting)
    MATLAB (but this is used for more complex things than just doing and solving math problems, but extremely good software)
    Mathematica
    ............

    all of these and of course those that CaptainBlack mentioned are pretty cool, but advice is to use them for checking your work


    check this Wolfram|Alpha—Computational Knowledge Engine
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member Mollier's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Norway
    Posts
    234
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    This is a vague question.

    Maxima (computer algebra)
    Derive (computer algebra - being phase out in favour of Maxima)
    Matlab (numerical computation if I have no option)
    FreeMat (as a substitute for Matlab on my computers)
    Euler (numerical computation and presentation graphs)
    Python (numpy/scipy, testing to see if can replace Euler)
    C (for embeded DSP)
    OpenOffice (drawing diagrams)
    LyX/LaTeX (mathematical report writing)
    Gnumeric (statistical/numeric spreadsheet modelling)
    PaintShopPro v4 (preparing illurstrations for reports)
    PDF viewers (viewing the output of LyX/LaTeX)
    GhostScript/GhostView (viewing the output of LyX/LaTeX and manipulating eps)

    CB
    Are you not a fan of Matlab? I'm just starting to learn a bit about it as part of my numerical analysis class.
    So far it's alright. I have used Python with scipy and numpy in the past, and really like that combo.
    Maxima looks interesting, havn't heard of it before. Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    206
    Awards
    1
    I think you will find that many people prefer to substitute "free" open source packages like Freemat, scilab, Octave, python + numpy etc for Matlab since they offer much of the functionality that Matlab has to offer. I find for number crunching I can usually do the same with any of the open source packages however its my opinion that Matlab is still light years in front in terms of graphics for 3d plotting etc. I cant wait for the day that there is easy and seamless 3d plotting for python - I cant get any of the packages on the net working well enough to justify making the move completly away from Matlab.

    Elbarto
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member Mollier's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Norway
    Posts
    234
    Awards
    1
    Thanks for clearing that up. Have not had use for 3D plotting yet. Python does a good job with 2D though.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollier View Post
    Are you not a fan of Matlab? I'm just starting to learn a bit about it as part of my numerical analysis class.
    So far it's alright. I have used Python with scipy and numpy in the past, and really like that combo.
    Maxima looks interesting, havn't heard of it before. Thanks.
    No I am not, if you are a student you are practically given the student version in order to hook you so that when you get a job you will demand Matlab as the tool of choice. You will then discover that comercial licences for something anywhere near as complete as you need will cost your employer ~10,000. Now they may have a no open source policy and so ante-up, but that does not make MathWorks an admirable operator it just makes your employer's policy look stupid (but then they may be used to looking so).

    Also it is so slow to boot that you could go to lunch while waiting.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Member Mollier's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Norway
    Posts
    234
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    No I am not, if you are a student you are practically given the student version in order to hook you so that when you get a job you will demand Matlab as the tool of choice. You will then discover that comercial licences for something anywhere near as complete as you need will cost your employer ~10,000.

    Also it is so slow to boot that you could go to lunch while waiting.

    CB
    I just payed 89 bucks for matlab with simulink and all those toolboxes. I've noticed that guys at work use Matlab for things that could be easily accomplished with any other free package. Don't see any reason for letting Python go anytime soon..
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Senior Member yeKciM's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post

    Also it is so slow to boot that you could go to lunch while waiting.

    CB
    on what machine are you using it ? i used it for couple of years, and never have problem with that (i can say that it worked pretty fast)




    Quote Originally Posted by Mollier View Post
    I just payed 89 bucks for matlab with simulink and all those toolboxes.
    you can get it for 1$ here (complete) but that's just piracy (although i'm not against of using such software for learning purpose )
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by yeKciM View Post
    on what machine are you using it ? i used it for couple of years, and never have problem with that (i can say that it worked pretty fast)
    Dual 2.4GHz P4 processors with 2GB of ram under XP

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Senior Member yeKciM's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    Dual 2.4GHz P4 processors with 2GB of ram under XP

    CB


    there should not be any problems, few years ago i found one "oldtimer" with 2 inch of dust on it ( P3 with 533MHz, 512 MB, GeForce 16BM, and with XPsp2 ) and installed MATLAB (although it was MATLAB v7) on that piece of junk and it worked relatively fine
    and my friend from school continue to use that machine just for laughs for the school (and never complained much, as far as MATLAB goes)

    until i upgrade it, my was here and there same characteristic as your computer and i had no complains on performance of loading or any work for that matter, with that great piece software in that time it booted faster then let's say 3DS MAX (v8 and above) , perhaps because i had tons of plugins for Max but never the less so as MATLAB have huge pieces to be loaded before use

    perhaps it's just matter of relative time, but as i remember that never could take more than 10 seconds i could be wrong, but just to make sure i'll probably install it and try (pay attention on boot time )

    hmmm... i wonder if that P3 could push the new version if can i'll definitely must record that
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. 3 of a kind
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 15th 2010, 07:02 AM
  2. what kind of polynomial is this:
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 14th 2009, 05:50 AM
  3. Three of a kind
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 8th 2009, 02:40 AM
  4. Would someone be so kind as to help me?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 3rd 2009, 08:15 PM
  5. What kind of relation is that?
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 18th 2008, 08:37 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum