Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - Reasoning

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    58

    Reasoning

    How can you answer this through inductive reasoning, J,F,M,A,M,J,J,A,S,O,_,_ then explain.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor undefined's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,340
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by winsome View Post
    How can you answer this through inductive reasoning, J,F,M,A,M,J,J,A,S,O,_,_ then explain.
    I think you just have to "see it." January, February, ...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    58
    yeah i have to "see it." January, February, ... but not get its proper answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor undefined's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,340
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by winsome View Post
    yeah i have to "see it." January, February, ... but not get its proper answer.
    So the proper answer isn't N and D for November and December?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    May 2010
    Posts
    98
    There isn't much more to it, it's a 'prediction'. So i'd say something along the lines of:
    "All of the observed objects in the group have attribute A, where A is the months.
    Therefore there is a probabillity that the next observed objects in the group also will have the attribute A, and therefore they will be 'months'.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by winsome View Post
    How can you answer this through inductive reasoning, J,F,M,A,M,J,J,A,S,O,_,_ then explain.
    You argue as follows: This is a sequence well known to me, which continues N,D.

    However this reasoning is not guaranteed to yield what the question poser wants to consider the correct answer, which could be anything.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    You argue as follows: This is a sequence well known to me, which continues N,D.

    However this reasoning is not guaranteed to yield what the question poser wants to consider the correct answer, which could be anything.

    CB
    Slightly off-topic, your post reminded me of an experience I had many years ago at a seminar for lateral thinking I was required to attend. One of the tasks was to 'decode' various picture puzzles, one which was the following:

    Fe Fe Fe

    Fe Fe Fe

    Fe Fe Fe

    The obvious answer (and the one my group wanted to give) is Nine-Iron. But, having become quite bored with the whole thing and deciding to have some sport by 'testing' the expert who was giving the seminar, I convinced my group to give the answer Cats (for the reason given in the spoiler below). The expert completely vindicated my opinion of the whole seminar when he completely brushed off this answer and its reason and instead pontificated on why Nine-Iron was the correct answer. (The expert was also completely ambivalent to the possibility that some people - perfectly capable of lateral thinking - might not know that Fe represented the element iron).

    Spoiler:
    Since there are lines of Fe you could say that the picture shows Fe lines, that is Felines ....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Slightly off-topic, your post reminded me of an experience I had many years ago at a seminar for lateral thinking I was required to attend. One of the tasks was to 'decode' various picture puzzles, one which was the following:

    Fe Fe Fe

    Fe Fe Fe

    Fe Fe Fe

    The obvious answer (and the one my group wanted to give) is Nine-Iron. But, having become quite bored with the whole thing and deciding to have some sport by 'testing' the expert who was giving the seminar, I convinced my group to give the answer Cats (for the reason given in the spoiler below). The expert completely vindicated my opinion of the whole seminar when he completely brushed off this answer and its reason and instead pontificated on why Nine-Iron was the correct answer. (The expert was also completely ambivalent to the possibility that some people - perfectly capable of lateral thinking - might not know that Fe represented the element iron).

    Spoiler:
    Since there are lines of Fe you could say that the picture shows Fe lines, that is Felines ....
    I don't think it will come as a surprise to you, but I knew what the spoiler would say . I suppose the "facilitator" rejected your answer because everyone knows that it's impossible to get them to do that! It would be like herding cats

    I failed the 11+ when I were a lad because I refused to give the socially acceptable answer to a question (probably several, knowing what a biplane is will not always save you specially when the right answer is not one of the given options - which is not the question I originally had in mind but ...) because they were wrong. But then I don't think they wanted independent thinkers to go to grammar school, just slightly above average drones to become bank managers and colonial administrators and other types of white collar criminals.

    -note I have taken up practicing long rambling anecdotes, with side stories just to make the reader lose track, for when I get old (that would have been about ten years ago according to my children, so I have a lot of catching up to do).

    CB
    Last edited by CaptainBlack; June 28th 2010 at 05:02 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks
    66
    Them things are fun to make up Mr F; 2 of my own:

    TuOsWuNs

    This town ain't large enough for both of us !

    ...9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,

    You ain't seen nothing yet !
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. SAT reasoning
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 7th 2010, 05:08 AM
  2. Not sure about the reasoning for this answer?
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 9th 2009, 10:41 PM
  3. proportional reasoning
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 19th 2009, 06:19 AM
  4. inductive reasoning
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 31st 2009, 09:30 AM
  5. Inductive reasoning
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 22nd 2009, 08:29 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum