Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: human cognition: tends to be pessimitic

  1. #1
    Senior Member x3bnm's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    354
    Thanks
    18

    human cognition: tends to be pessimitic

    There was a study done where patients were told there is 40% chance of success. They liked it because of the word success. Then they are told there are 60% chance of failure they didn't like at all. Same way they were told there are 40% chance of failure. They disliked it. Then they are told there are 60% chance of success. They still were reluctant.

    So it seems like human mind wants to see half empty glass and not become an optimist.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,723
    Thanks
    1516

    Re: human cognition: tends to be pessimitic

    How is this math philosophy?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member x3bnm's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    354
    Thanks
    18

    Re: human cognition: tends to be pessimitic

    I had this predisposed notion that if human had mathematical data they would use their mathematical philosophy or logical sense to evaluate that.

    But it seems even mathematical data means nothing.

    I am a man of math and science. So I try to take logical decision. This study pointed out human's mathematical ignorance to philosophical absurdity.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,723
    Thanks
    1516

    Re: human cognition: tends to be pessimitic

    I see. Different people have different capacities for understanding the world mathematically.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2018
    From
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1

    Re: human cognition: tends to be pessimitic

    I think the example you've raised shows us that mathematics, logic and reason alone simply aren't enough, however much we'd like them to be. The human mind looks at things subjectively to at least some degree, and that includes mathematics and hard logic. I think it's important to keep that in mind.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Human sleep patterns
    Posted in the Calculators Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 9th 2017, 11:46 AM
  2. Case a Human file
    Posted in the Calculators Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 7th 2017, 11:09 AM
  3. The Human Punch
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 22nd 2016, 11:56 PM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum