Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Quick Line (just made it up for fun)

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor Quick's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    New England
    Posts
    1,024

    Quick Line (just made it up for fun)

    Sorry, your Web browser is not Java compatible. This prototype will not be of much interest to you.

    Any Two points (and an x and y axis) can form two "Quick" lines (except under three circumstances), can anyone figure out how the lines are determined (you can move the points around)?

    hint: My teacher's been making us do things with patty paper.

    PS: if you don't have enough information to figure it out, please tell me.
    The Two points are the opposite corners of the smallest possible rectangle that touches them. When that rectangle is folded such that the two points lie on top of each other than the line connects the two non-dotted corners







    Let's see who's the first to find it.
    Last edited by Quick; November 23rd 2006 at 07:42 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    Any Two points (and an x and y axis) can form two "Quick" lines (except under three circumstances), can anyone figure out how the lines are determined (you can move the points around)?

    hint: My teacher's been making us do things with patty paper.

    PS: if you don't have enough information to figure it out, please tell me.








    Let's see who's the first to find it.
    It looks like the tangent of the angle?
    Last edited by ThePerfectHacker; November 5th 2006 at 05:23 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor Quick's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    New England
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    It looks like the tangent of the angle?
    Please remove the drawing from your quote, I'm worried about lagging this thread.

    I don't know what a tangent of an angle is...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post

    I don't know what a tangent of an angle is...
    When a line intersects a x-axis is creates an angle. The tangent of that angle ( \tan \theta) is the slope of the line. It seems that the slope of those lines is the tangent of the angle they create.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor Quick's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    New England
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    When a line intersects a x-axis is creates an angle. The tangent of that angle ( \tan \theta) is the slope of the line. It seems that the slope of those lines is the tangent of the angle they create.
    I don't think it is, at least it isn't when the line is 45 degrees to the horizontal (it should be -1 instead of 1)

    The answer is in white text in my original post. (so noone quote my original post)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Senior Member TriKri's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    1
    This is what I think: The two lines are at right angle to the line imagined line between the two points. Then, if the two points is (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), the two lines goes through the points (x1, y2) and (x2, y1) respectively.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. made a mistake somewhere
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 6th 2010, 11:55 AM
  2. Who made the least?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 4th 2009, 02:28 PM
  3. how many topologies can be made
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 17th 2009, 04:02 AM
  4. Puzzle I made up
    Posted in the Math Challenge Problems Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 10th 2008, 06:12 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum