Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 86 of 86

Math Help - Trick Questions

  1. #76
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    I came up with another one.

    Who was the first person born?
    According to genesis that would be Cain Adamson.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #77
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,901
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    I came up with another one.

    Who was the first person born?
    Unless you have a new spin on it, this one's kind of like "How many animals did Moses take on the ark?" It's been around so much that few get fooled by it.

    Personally I like questions such as "Why does Hawaii have interstate highways?" much better.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #78
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    9
    Well the trick is in that people say Adam.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #79
    Newbie j.c.'s Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    indiana, go colts
    Posts
    12
    Well we are all Gods children and Adam was conceived on Earth so I think it would be Adam unless you mean the first person to be born from another person then it would probably be Eve (made from Adam's rib) but if you mean someone conceived the traditional way then yeah it would be cain, he was also the first to murder someone.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #80
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,901
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c. View Post
    Well we are all Gods children and Adam was conceived on Earth so I think it would be Adam unless you mean the first person to be born from another person then it would probably be Eve (made from Adam's rib) but if you mean someone conceived the traditional way then yeah it would be cain, he was also the first to murder someone.
    We are all God's children, it is true, but even though I am a Mormon I don't recognize the Genesis story (either of them: there are actually 2 creation stories in there) as being literally true. I'm too much of a scientist to believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible. So as far as I am concerned, TPH's question can be answered in the context of the religion of your choice.

    (I'm a baaaad Mormon. What can I say?)

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #81
    Newbie j.c.'s Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    indiana, go colts
    Posts
    12
    I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in.
    my brother actually did that and now he is married to her and they just had a baby
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #82
    Senior Member TriKri's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    1)Here is my own riddle: "A group of friends are walking a a forrest during the night. Everyone is frightened because of the howling wolves and animals, except for one, why?
    Because he is deaf?

    > 2)Another one I made up myself: "Everyone who exits this place cannot enter it again".

    Life?? Universe???

    > 3)(Impossible) "He who has it does not want it. He who makes it sells it. He who needs it does not have it."

    Nothing, if i remember this right.

    > 4)My own: "Can God destroy himself?" - in fact I have a very responsible answer. Instead of philosophical.

    No, of course, how would that happen?

    > 5)What is wrong with this (I posted it before to make a point):
    Assume 2 = 6
    Then subtract 4,
    -2=2
    Now square,
    4=4
    Thus,
    2=6. What happend?

    Yeah, what happend? I'm getting confused here.

    > 6)
    a=1
    a^2=1
    a^2-a=1-a
    a(a-1)=-(a-1)
    a=-1
    -1=1

    Division by zero.

    > 7)When does, 1+1=0?

    When you are doing "modular arithmetic"?

    > 8)How can you get 4 gallons using 5 and 3 gallon cups.

    Fill a 5 cup and pour ower to a 3 cup until the 3 cup is full. It's 2 gallons in the 5 cup. Do that one more time with another 5 and 3 cup. Pour ower the liquid from one of the 5 cups to the other.

    > 9)You have 10 piles of 10 books. Each pile weighs diffrently .9 kilograms and one weighs 1 kilogram. Using a scale once find which pile is the 1 kilogram.

    Place a different number of books from each pile on the scale. Myltiply the total number of books by 0.9 kg and see how much it differs on the scale. Divide the result by 0.1 kg and thats the number of books you took from the pile in which the books wheighted differently.

    > 10)A man jumps out of the window then the phone rings and then he regretted his decision. Why?

    He remembers he has forgotten the keys in his appartment and there is no way for him to answer the phone, because the door to the building is locked and it can only be unlocked with a key. He lands safetly on the lawn two meters down outside the building and grumbles as he walks away.

    > 11)Several man drink in a bar. Everyone has the same drinks. Everyone dies except for one, how? (Use this to assacinate people)

    Offcourse he was the one who poisoned the rest of them.

    > 12)In a middle of field are lying a carrot and buttons, why?

    I dont really know why. Tell me! Please!

    > 13)A man takes an elevator downstairs but walks up stairs, why? (Cool answer)

    It requires energy moving yourself up but moving down releases energy so he loses energy, and warmth = energy, hence he gets cooler?

    > 14)How can you win in chess in 2 moves?

    You make a good move and the other person give up. As my grandma always use to do.

    > 15)Here is a trick question: What is the tallest mountain in the world?

    Mount Everest, that's for sure.

    > 16)My favorite: "Napolean invites three smartest people in the world to prove they are the smartest. The people are Artistotle, Newton and CaptainBlank. He blindfolds everyone and places a hat on their head. Eveyone either has a black or white. Napolean announces that all 3 cannot be white and removes the blindfold. CaptainBlank sees Aristotle having a black and Newton having a black hat but he is thinking what do I have? Eventually after many hours he stand up and scream,...'My colour is...'. What was the color and how did CaptainBlank know?

    Hehe, funny If he has a white hat, the others must be thinking "if I got a white hat to, then the one with the black hat must have figured out he can't have a white hat as well, and he would have said a long time ago he has a black hat, and he hasn't done, so I must have a black hat". Now, anyone hasn't said so yet and a long time has past, so CaptainBlank must be screaming "My colour is black!"

    > I got hunderds more.

    Bah, you stole the one riddle was gonna post!
    Last edited by TriKri; November 18th 2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #83
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by TriKri View Post
    Because he is deaf?

    > 2)Another one I made up myself: "Everyone who exits this place cannot enter it again".

    Life?? Universe???
    I hate it when you say a riddle and a person says an answer in a question form. Implying he did not solve it, because if he did then it would make sense and he would not be required to ask but say.
    > 3)(Impossible) "He who has it does not want it. He who makes it sells it. He who needs it does not have it."

    Nothing, if i remember this right.
    I hate it when you say a riddle and a person says an answer that makes no sense because he thinks it is related to a different riddle. If it make no sense then why say it.
    No, of course, how would that happen?
    Correct. The purpose of the riddle is based on this. God can do anything. Then he can destroy himself. But God cannot be destroyed. Contradiction. The error is assuming that God can do everything, he can do anything which is related to His universe, such as stoping time, removing gravity and mastering the universe. However, He cannot win the game of chess in one move simply it is impossible. Or express the square root of two as a rational number or square a circle. This shows the faulty assumption that people make that God can do everything. Now since the destruction of God is an absolute impossibility, just like winnging chess in a single move, it cannot be achieved.
    Assume 2 = 6
    Then subtract 4,
    -2=2
    Now square,
    4=4
    Thus,
    2=6. What happend?

    Yeah, what happend? I'm getting confused here.

    > 6)
    a=1
    a^2=1
    a^2-a=1-a
    a(a-1)=-(a-1)
    a=-1
    -1=1

    Division by zero.
    I hate it when you say a riddle and a person says an answer that makes no sense because he thinks it is related to a different riddle. If it make no sense then why say it.

    > 7)When does, 1+1=0?

    When you are doing "modular arithmetic"?
    Correct.

    > 8)How can you get 4 gallons using 5 and 3 gallon cups.

    Fill a 5 cup and pour ower to a 3 cup until the 3 cup is full. It's 2 gallons in the 5 cup. Do that one more time with another 5 and 3 cup. Pour ower the liquid from one of the 5 cups to the other.
    I hate it when you say a riddle an a person says an answer that makes absolutely no sense.
    > 9)You have 10 piles of 10 books. Each pile weighs diffrently .9 kilograms and one weighs 1 kilogram. Using a scale once find which pile is the 1 kilogram.

    Place a different number of books from each pile on the scale. Myltiply the total number of books by 0.9 kg and see how much it differs on the scale. Divide the result by 0.1 kg and thats the number of books you took from the pile in which the books wheighted differently.
    I hate it when you say a riddle and the person says an answer that he himself knows is wrong only for the purpose of completion.
    > 10)A man jumps out of the window then the phone rings and then he regretted his decision. Why?

    He remembers he has forgotten the keys in his appartment and there is no way for him to answer the phone, because the door to the building is locked and it can only be unlocked with a key. He lands safetly on the lawn two meters down outside the building and grumbles as he walks away.
    A possible answer but unlikely....
    The man was the only surviving human on earth. He was unhappy of that fact seeing everyone dead and wanted to kill himself. As he jumped out of the window he realized that he was not the only one but rather someone was calling him, another human. And he realized he made a mistake.
    > 11)Several man drink in a bar. Everyone has the same drinks. Everyone dies except for one, how? (Use this to assacinate people)

    Offcourse he was the one who poisoned the rest of them.
    I hate it when you say a riddle and the person says an answer that he himself knows is wrong.

    The answer is that the all the men did not know it was poison. But the poison was the ice cubes. The only man use survived was the one who drank quickly before the ice melted and gave the poison. The rest drank too slowly and induced poison invetibly dieing.
    > 12)In a middle of field are lying a carrot and buttons, why?

    I dont really know why. Tell me! Please!
    It was a Snowman which melted away.
    > 13)A man takes an elevator downstairs but walks up stairs, why? (Cool answer)

    It requires energy moving yourself up but moving down releases energy so he loses energy, and warmth = energy, hence he gets cooler?
    I hate it repeating how I hate saying that I hate the answers given because the person know that he gave the wrong answers.
    > 15)Here is a trick question: What is the tallest mountain in the world?

    Mount Everest, that's for sure.
    Think of this. A man is 10 feet tall another is 5 feet tall. The 5 feet tall man is standing on top 10 foot stairs. He is higher but not taller. Mt. Everest is the same analogy. Mount Kea (forgot the exact spelling) in Hawaii is 36,000 feet tall. But it is submerged.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #84
    Senior Member TriKri's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    I hate it when...
    I hate it when...
    I hate it when...
    I hate it when...
    I hate it when...
    I hate it when...
    I hate it...
    Oops... ('.')
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #85
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by TriKri View Post
    Oops... ('.')
    Not to worry, he hates everything - well almost

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #86
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,901
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TriKri View Post
    > 15)Here is a trick question: What is the tallest mountain in the world?

    Mount Everest, that's for sure.
    K4 is perhaps taller than Mount Everest or occasionally taller due to snowfall. Several (inconsistent) measurements have shown K4 to be both smaller and taller than Mount Everest. So it's an open question at this point.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. More dice trick questions
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 8th 2011, 02:13 AM
  2. Trick 4 solving 4 n
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 8th 2010, 04:46 PM
  3. trick to solve?
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 18th 2010, 09:48 AM
  4. Simple if not fot the Trick!
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 22nd 2009, 05:00 AM
  5. Conjurer's trick
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 20th 2007, 09:41 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum