Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Family Gathering

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75

    Family Gathering

    If your parents, your parents' parents and your parents' parents' parents all shook hands with each other, how many handshakes would occur, provided that everyone in your family has 2 parents?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member

    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Lexington, MA (USA)
    Posts
    11,690
    Thanks
    617
    Hello, Obsidantion!

    If your parents, your parents' parents and your parents' parents' parents
    all shook hands with each other, how many handshakes would occur,
    provided that everyone in your family has 2 parents?

    You have 2 parents, 4 grandparents, and 8 great-grandparents.

    With 14 people, there are: . {14\choose2} \:=\:91 handshakes.

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
    Hello, Obsidantion!


    You have 2 parents, 4 grandparents, and 8 great-grandparents.

    With 14 people, there are: . {14\choose2} \:=\:91 handshakes.
    Yes, good one.

    Q1. If a couple in your family has 2 babies and at least 1 of the babies is a boy, what is the chance that both of the babies are boys?

    Q2. If a couple in your family has 2 babies and the older of the 2 babies is a boy, what is the chance that the other baby is a boy as well?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Sun
    Sun is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1

    Post

    Q1. If a couple in your family has 2 babies and at least 1 of the babies is a boy, what is the chance that both of the babies are boys?

    Q2. If a couple in your family has 2 babies and the older of the 2 babies is a boy, what is the chance that the other baby is a boy as well?[/quote]

    A1 : 75% chance. out of the 4 probabilities (girl followed by boy, girl followed by girl, boy followed by girl , boy followed by girl) , we know that girl can't be the first one. so two probabilities eliminated giving us a guarantee that the chance is at least 50%. At this point both Boy followed by girl or Boy followed by Boy has a 75% chance, as getting either a second boy or girl has 25% chance? (I think i'm confusing myself)

    A2 : 50%. The second probability does not effect the first probability, unlike question 1...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun View Post
    A1 : 75% chance. out of the 4 probabilities (girl followed by boy, girl followed by girl, boy followed by girl , boy followed by girl) , we know that girl can't be the first one. so two probabilities eliminated giving us a guarantee that the chance is at least 50%. At this point both Boy followed by girl or Boy followed by Boy has a 75% chance, as getting either a second boy or girl has 25% chance? (I think i'm confusing myself)

    A2 : 50%. The second probability does not effect the first probability, unlike question 1...
    Your second answer is right and for the right reason too.
    The first question is hard, I was really confused when I first heard it. There are four possibilities (with equal chance) for the two babies' genders, like you said; girl then boy, girl then girl, boy then girl, boy then boy. Of these combinations, three have at least one boy, the other has two girls. Of the three combinations with at least one boy, only one of those has both babies as boys, which leaves a probability of one third as to how many of the combinations with at least one boy has two.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Family of subsets
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 19th 2010, 10:28 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 27th 2010, 03:14 AM
  3. exponential family help
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 24th 2010, 12:37 PM
  4. what i a family of funtions
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 12th 2009, 03:09 AM
  5. Family of five
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 23rd 2007, 05:50 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum