Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - RPG Battle

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75

    RPG Battle

    This is a question for any RPG fans.

    There are two players with the following statistics:

    Player1:
    Strength - 15
    Defence - 0
    Agility - 5
    Health - 75
    Speed - 5

    Player2:
    Strength - 5
    Defence - 5
    Agility - 15
    Health - 50
    Speed - 10

    They're in a turn based battle and it's your job to figure out who's most likely to win (because you'll get lots of gold if you bet on the right person or something). Here's how the stats affect a battle:
    • Health * 5 = Hit Points
    • Player's Agility / (Player's Agility + Opponent's Agility) = Player's chance to successfully attack the Opponent
    • Player's Strength - Opponent's Defence = Damage dealt (amount reduced) to Opponent's Hit Points in successful attack of the Opponent
    • Player's Speed / (Player's Speed + Opponent's Speed) = Player's chance to go first at the start of a battle
    I hope this makes sense and I wonder if anybody will actually want to do it.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    An additional note for clarity:
    The battle is turn based to the effect that once one player has attempted to attack their opponent (successfully or not), it will then be the opponents turn and vice versa (the player to attack first, at the start of the battle, is decided at random according to the rule above involving the Speed attribute). Also, whether a player hits successfully on their turn or not (see the effect of the Agility stat above) is randomly generated for each turn and not the same result for all of their attacks throughout the battle (although, I'm not sure this makes a difference to the answer, but I believe it will simplify things).
    Last edited by Obsidantion; August 25th 2008 at 07:03 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,817
    Thanks
    316
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidantion View Post
    This is a question for any RPG fans.

    There are two players with the following statistics:

    Player1:
    Strength - 15
    Defence - 0
    Agility - 5
    Health - 75
    Speed - 5

    Player2:
    Strength - 5
    Defence - 5
    Agility - 15
    Health - 50
    Speed - 10

    They're in a turn based battle and it's your job to figure out who's most likely to win (because you'll get lots of gold if you bet on the right person or something). Here's how the stats affect a battle:
    • Health * 5 = Hit Points
    • Player's Agility / (Player's Agility + Opponent's Agility) = Player's chance to successfully attack the Opponent
    • Player's Strength - Opponent's Defence = Damage dealt (amount reduced) to Opponent's Hit Points in successful attack of the Opponent
    • Player's Speed / (Player's Speed + Opponent's Speed) = Player's chance to go first at the start of a battle

    I hope this makes sense and I wonder if anybody will actually want to do it.
    Qualitatively the second player always strikes first and has a much greater chance of inflicting damage. They both hit with the same amount of damage, so I'd bet heavily on the second one.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    Qualitatively the second player always strikes first and has a much greater chance of inflicting damage. They both hit with the same amount of damage, so I'd bet heavily on the second one.

    -Dan
    Thank you for your interest.
    I'm pretty sure it's possible to go beyond estimation and prove which player has a greater chance of winning. They don't both hit the same amount of damage but I agree with you in that Player2 is more likely to win.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5

    Post

    Initiative:
    The first player has 33% chance to go first, the second 67%.

    Chance to hit:
    The first player hit 25% of the time, the second player 75%.

    Damage:
    The first player do 10 the second player 5 HP damage.

    Hit Points (HP):
    First player has 375 HP and second player 250 HP.

    The first player does on average 2.5 HP / round of combat. Thus it will take him 100 rounds to kill the second player.

    The second player does on average 3.75 HP / round of combat. Thus it takes him 100 rounds to kill the first player.

    So on average it takes them the same time to kill each other. The one thing that will make a difference is the initiative. As player two wins the initiative 67% of the times, he will win 67% of the times as well on average.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
    The one thing that will make a difference is the initiative. As player two wins the initiative 67% of the times, he will win 67% of the times as well on average.
    Correct! You win lots of gold for betting on the winner.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Japanese Samurai and his soldiers after a battle
    Posted in the Math Puzzles Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 1st 2011, 10:05 PM
  2. The Battle Of Hastings
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: July 27th 2007, 05:25 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum