Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - probability distributions

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor matheagle's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,763
    Thanks
    5

    probability distributions

    How do you write 1 and 2 dimensional distributions in TeX?
    I use the TeXbook all the time and I can write matrices and determinants,
    But I can't find how to type a discrete prob distribution via Tex.
    That's with X and Y on the sides, and their values and the joint probabilities.
    Thanks in advance.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Rhymes with Orange Chris L T521's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by matheagle View Post
    How do you write 1 and 2 dimensional distributions in TeX?
    I use the TeXbook all the time and I can write matrices and determinants,
    But I can't find how to type a discrete prob distribution via Tex.
    That's with X and Y on the sides, and their values and the joint probabilities.
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm trying to take a stab at this, but I'm not too sure what you're looking for.

    Is it a table that is similar to those on this site?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor matheagle's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,763
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    That's decent.
    But all I think they did was print
    ----------------------
    and |
    there must be a command for it in TeX, u'd think
    How do these textbook make these tables?
    Probably not in TeX.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Rhymes with Orange Chris L T521's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by matheagle View Post
    Thanks
    That's decent.
    But all I think they did was print
    ----------------------
    and |
    there must be a command for it in TeX, u'd think
    How do these textbook make these tables?
    Probably not in TeX.
    I'm gonna recreate one of the tables on that site I gave you:

    <br />
\begin{array}{| l || c | c | c |}<br />
\hline<br />
\hspace{1pc} & \text{Broken} & -\text{Broken} & \hspace{1pc} \\ \hline<br />
\text{Smoke} & 0.02 & 0.01 & 0.03 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right) \\ \hline<br />
-\text{Smoke} & 0.06 & 0.91 & 0.097 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right)\\ \hline<br />
\hspace{1pc} & 0.08 = P\!\left(\text{Broken}\right) & <br />
0.92= P\!\left(-\text{Broken}\right) & \hspace{1pc}\\ \hline<br />
\end{array}<br />

    The code:

    Code:
    \begin{array}{| l || c | c | c |}
    \hline
    \hspace{1pc} & \text{Broken} & -\text{Broken} & \hspace{1pc} \\ \hline
    \text{Smoke} & 0.02 & 0.01 & 0.03 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right) \\ \hline
    -\text{Smoke} & 0.06 & 0.91 & 0.097 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right)\\ \hline
    \hspace{1pc} & 0.08 = P\!\left(\text{Broken}\right) & 
    0.92= P\!\left(-\text{Broken}\right) & \hspace{1pc}\\ \hline
    \end{array}
    In TeX editors like TeXnic Center, the \texttt{tabular} environment is better.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor matheagle's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,763
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris L T521 View Post
    I'm gonna recreate one of the tables on that site I gave you:

    <br />
\begin{array}{| l || c | c | c |}<br />
\hline<br />
\hspace{1pc} & \text{Broken} & -\text{Broken} & \hspace{1pc} \\ \hline<br />
\text{Smoke} & 0.02 & 0.01 & 0.03 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right) \\ \hline<br />
-\text{Smoke} & 0.06 & 0.91 & 0.097 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right)\\ \hline<br />
\hspace{1pc} & 0.08 = P\!\left(\text{Broken}\right) & <br />
0.92= P\!\left(-\text{Broken}\right) & \hspace{1pc}\\ \hline<br />
\end{array}<br />

    The code:

    Code:
    \begin{array}{| l || c | c | c |}
    \hline
    \hspace{1pc} & \text{Broken} & -\text{Broken} & \hspace{1pc} \\ \hline
    \text{Smoke} & 0.02 & 0.01 & 0.03 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right) \\ \hline
    -\text{Smoke} & 0.06 & 0.91 & 0.097 = P\!\left(\text{Smoke}\right)\\ \hline
    \hspace{1pc} & 0.08 = P\!\left(\text{Broken}\right) & 
    0.92= P\!\left(-\text{Broken}\right) & \hspace{1pc}\\ \hline
    \end{array}
    In TeX editors like TeXnic Center, the \texttt{tabular} environment is better.

    Thanks
    But I saw something like this in my Texbook and it didn't work, when I tried it. Nor did this work just now.
    I'm using emtex I believe and maybe that's the problem.
    Last edited by matheagle; February 24th 2009 at 08:28 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Probability Distributions
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 16th 2009, 01:01 PM
  2. probability distributions
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 1st 2009, 04:41 PM
  3. Probability Distributions
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 6th 2008, 12:29 AM
  4. Probability Distributions
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 6th 2008, 04:30 PM
  5. Probability Distributions HELP
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 6th 2008, 03:43 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum