Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

  1. #1
    Super Member Bernhard's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    From
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    553
    Thanks
    2

    Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    I wish to prepare solutions to Dummit and Foote's algebra problems in Word and Pdf documents.

    Can anyone suggest a good Latex Editor for this task?

    [I have a 64-bit PC system running Windows 7]

    Peter
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    I wish to prepare solutions to Dummit and Foote's algebra problems in Word and Pdf documents.

    Can anyone suggest a good Latex Editor for this task?

    [I have a 64-bit PC system running Windows 7]

    Peter
    I use Texniccenter and MikTeX and it's worked great for me!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member Bernhard's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    From
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    553
    Thanks
    2

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    Thanks - Have gone to try this and having difficulty installing TeXnicCenter


    As I mentioned, I have a 64-bit System running Windows 7

    I installed MiKTex and then tried to instal the TeXnicCenter editor.

    All went well until I clicked on the TeXnicCenter icon on my desktop and was asked

    "Enter the full path of the directory where the executiable (latex, tex, etc) of your Tex_distribution are located"

    I answered "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeXnicCenter" - which is where the TeXnicCenter download went! But there is a problem - the error message is as follows:

    "The application 'LaTex' has not been found in the directory of your Tex-distribution are located

    The Application 'Latex' has not been found in the directory of your Tex-Distribution

    Please enter the directory where the executiable files (tex.exe, latex.exe, etc) are located."

    I am beginning to wonder if there is something else I should have downloaded other than the TeXnicCenter system?

    Can you help?

    {packages}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    Thanks - Have gone to try this and having difficulty installing TeXnicCenter


    As I mentioned, I have a 64-bit System running Windows 7

    I installed MiKTex and then tried to instal the TeXnicCenter editor.

    All went well until I clicked on the TeXnicCenter icon on my desktop and was asked

    "Enter the full path of the directory where the executiable (latex, tex, etc) of your Tex_distribution are located"

    I answered "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeXnicCenter" - which is where the TeXnicCenter download went! But there is a problem - the error message is as follows:

    "The application 'LaTex' has not been found in the directory of your Tex-distribution are located

    The Application 'Latex' has not been found in the directory of your Tex-Distribution

    Please enter the directory where the executiable files (tex.exe, latex.exe, etc) are located."

    I am beginning to wonder if there is something else I should have downloaded other than the TeXnicCenter system?

    Can you help?

    {packages}
    Ah, I believe I had the same problem, but had a friend fix it. I would suggest PMing ChrisLT, he may be able to help you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member Bernhard's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    From
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    553
    Thanks
    2

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    You write: "I would suggest PMing ChrisLT"

    Sorry to sound dull - but what do you mean? How do I PM ChrisLT?

    I am desperate for a solution to this problem

    By the way, just had a though - when TeXnicCenter referes to the TeX-distribution location - are they referring to the MikTex directory?

    Peter
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    You write: "I would suggest PMing ChrisLT"

    Sorry to sound dull - but what do you mean? How do I PM ChrisLT?

    I am desperate for a solution to this problem

    By the way, just had a though - when TeXnicCenter referes to the TeX-distribution location - are they referring to the MikTex directory?

    Peter
    I do know that when you finish downloading TXC it asks you to direct it to the MikTeX directory.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member Bernhard's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    From
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    553
    Thanks
    2

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    What did you mean by PMing ChrisLT?

    How do I do it?

    Peter
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    What did you mean by PMing ChrisLT?

    How do I do it?

    Peter
    Go here, and message this guy.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    19

    Re: Recommendation on a Latex Editor for maths documents

    I just came accross this program or app rather than program.

    "Daum Equation Editor "

    The downside is that it should be integrated with Google Chrome which might be a pro since it might simplify work when using equations online.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] How to easily create latex documents
    Posted in the LaTeX Help Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 14th 2011, 01:25 AM
  2. downloading LaTeX editor LyX
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 7th 2010, 10:38 AM
  3. Latex Editor 0.53
    Posted in the LaTeX Help Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 2nd 2010, 04:52 AM
  4. Online LaTex Equation Editor
    Posted in the LaTeX Help Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 27th 2008, 01:52 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum