Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Big Fractions and Big Arrays

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21

    Big Fractions and Big Arrays

    Hello friends,


    This is a problem I've been facing for a while. Suppose that I wanted to write \displaystyle \frac{\prod\text{stuff}}{\prod\text{more stuff}} but I wanted to force the product to be normal displaystyle size. Similarly, suppose that I had a matrix whose entries were sums/products/integrals and I wanted those to be normal displaystyle size, can I do this? I know the matrix/fraction would be huge, but that isn't an issue.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Opalg's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel28 View Post
    Hello friends,


    This is a problem I've been facing for a while. Suppose that I wanted to write \displaystyle \frac{\prod\text{stuff}}{\prod\text{more stuff}} but I wanted to force the product to be normal displaystyle size. Similarly, suppose that I had a matrix whose entries were sums/products/integrals and I wanted those to be normal displaystyle size, can I do this? I know the matrix/fraction would be huge, but that isn't an issue.
    Put the \displaystyle command in each array item (fraction component, matrix entry, or whatever):
    \frac{\displaystyle \prod\text{stuff}}{\displaystyle \prod\text{more stuff}}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalg View Post
    Put the \displaystyle command in each array item (fraction component, matrix entry, or whatever):
    \frac{\displaystyle \prod\text{stuff}}{\displaystyle \prod\text{more stuff}}
    You know, I never would have guessed to do that. I've LaTeXed a lot, and I would have guessed that that would read error since it was a 'precursor' command--or so I thought. Thanks Opalg!
    Last edited by mr fantastic; May 12th 2011 at 06:42 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Opalg's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel28 View Post
    I would have guessed that that would read error since it was a 'precursor' command--or so I thought.
    The default TeX style for array and similar items is that they are one level lower than the ambient style. So if you are working in displaystyle then these items will be in textstyle, if you are in textstyle then they will be in scriptstyle, and if you are in scriptstyle then they will be in scriptscriptstyle. If you want to override those settings then you have to do so explicitly for each separate item.

    If that gets too tedious then you can abbreviate it by using a macro. After \def\ds{\displaystyle}, you only need to write \ds each time, rather than \displaystyle.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Comparing two arrays of data
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 7th 2012, 03:05 AM
  2. Using imagesc to visualize arrays in Octave
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 13th 2011, 10:54 PM
  3. Arrays, indices problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 19th 2009, 09:05 AM
  4. Mapping arrays to use negative indexes
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 14th 2009, 12:05 PM
  5. A puzzle and orthogonal arrays
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 27th 2008, 12:42 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum