Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - LaTeX program editors

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    297

    LaTeX program editors

    Anyone know of any good programs that are easy to use for LaTeX. Getting tired of using the math editor in Microsoft Word. I actually don't know LaTeX, but would like to learn.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by acevipa View Post
    Anyone know of any good programs that are easy to use for LaTeX. Getting tired of using the math editor in Microsoft Word. I actually don't know LaTeX, but would like to learn.
    For Windows, if you want an operational LaTeX system you need to first install a LaTeX system like MikTeX, then you will probably need Ghostscript/Ghostview and an pdf reader like Acrobat reader. then on top of that you will need a LaTeX editor like texnic center, winedt, texmaker, ...

    (google for them they all have homepages)

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member Bacterius's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Wellington
    Posts
    927
    Or just use Texworks that is shipped with MiKTeX. Along with a copy of the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List, the work gets done cleanly. Well, for most people, that is. If you're planning to include diagrams or very high complexity diagrams and stuff in your documents, you might be better off using a professional software.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    A Plied Mathematician
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    From
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,318
    Thanks
    4
    Awards
    2
    I like using TextPad myself (I also use MiKTeX, GhostScript, GhostView, and YAP (Yet Another Previewer) that comes with MiKTeX). You can set up inverse search in TextPad (other editors let you do that as well), such that when you double-click in a dvi document, TextPad takes you to the line of code that produced that part of the dvi. I would recommend an editor that lets you do inverse search, as well as syntax highlighting (TextPad does that, too). In TextPad, you can set up commands to do the TeX-ing; there's documentation for all of that. It worked well for my thesis.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    For Windows, if you want an operational LaTeX system you need to first install a LaTeX system like MikTeX, then you will probably need Ghostscript/Ghostview and an pdf reader like Acrobat reader. then on top of that you will need a LaTeX editor like texnic center, winedt, texmaker, ...

    (google for them they all have homepages)

    CB

    I've downloaded texnic center. Why do you also need MikTeX?

    Also what prohgram will you need for Ghostscript/Ghostview

    Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    23

    LaTeX installation

    Hi acevipa,

    Quote Originally Posted by acevipa View Post
    I've downloaded texnic center. Why do you also need MikTeX?
    Also what prohgram will you need for Ghostscript/Ghostview
    TeXnicCenter is just an editor for LaTeX, it isn't LaTeX. You have to install a LaTeX distribution. For Windows there are MiKTeX and TeX Live. Both install also a easy-to-use LaTeX editor called TeXworks.

    I recommend to use TeX Live. If you want to know reasons or if I should tell you how to install it, write it here, because perhaps you've already installed it since you've written the question already some days ago.

    Stefan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. latex notepad or equation note takeing program.
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 22nd 2011, 06:21 PM
  2. Editors
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 12th 2010, 12:50 AM
  3. LaTex inside of LaTex
    Posted in the LaTeX Help Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 12th 2009, 11:07 AM
  4. Fixing The Program (Program Correctness)
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 21st 2009, 02:17 PM
  5. LaTeX Program
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 10th 2008, 11:49 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum