Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Surface Area Challenge HELP

  1. #1
    Newbie Alchemist9's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Georgia
    Posts
    6

    Surface Area Challenge HELP

    I'm not good at Surface Area, and I really need to figure out how to do this. :[
    Can someone work it out step by step?


    MUCH APPRECIATED!! <33

    Problem:
    You have been hired to paint the Greensboro, Ga. historic water tower green.

    The tower has a cylindrical base that is 12 feet around and 85 feet high. The top is sphere and is 300 feet around.

    A gallon can of green paint on average covers 200 ft2(feet squared) and cost about $35 per gallon.

    How much would it cost to paint the entire water tower?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,621
    Thanks
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist9 View Post
    I'm not good at Surface Area, and I really need to figure out how to do this. :[
    Can someone work it out step by step?


    MUCH APPRECIATED!! <33

    Problem:
    You have been hired to paint the Greensboro, Ga. historic water tower green.

    The tower has a cylindrical base that is 12 feet around and 85 feet high. The top is sphere and is 300 feet around.

    A gallon can of green paint on average covers 200 ft2(feet squared) and cost about $35 per gallon.

    How much would it cost to paint the entire water tower?
    you'll need the following two formulas ...

    surface area of a sphere ... A = 4\pi r^2

    lateral surface area of a cylinder ... A = 2\pi rh
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie Alchemist9's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Georgia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    you'll need the following two formulas ...

    surface area of a sphere ... A = 4\pi r^2

    lateral surface area of a cylinder ... A = 2\pi rh
    Well.. I originally did that when I tried it out the first time.

    I feel like my numbers weren't.. really right.
    They were really indifferent.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,621
    Thanks
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist9 View Post
    Well.. I originally did that when I tried it out the first time.

    I feel like my numbers weren't.. really right.
    They were really indifferent.
    ... since you haven't shown what you have attempted, I guess we'll never know if you did it correctly or made a mistake.

    get my point?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Interesting Area Challenge - HARD
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 12th 2009, 01:19 PM
  2. Calculate the surface area of the surface
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 26th 2009, 04:03 AM
  3. Lateral Area and Total Surface Area
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 25th 2009, 04:28 PM
  4. Help finding surface area of a surface
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 3rd 2008, 04:11 PM
  5. Volume, Surface Area, and Lateral Surface Area
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 14th 2008, 11:40 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum