Results 1 to 14 of 14

Math Help - i need help understanding

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    i need help understanding

    we are studying polygons and trapezoids in my math class. i dont understand any of it. and we are also studying kites in the class.
    can anyone help me understand or give me the formulas to figure it out.
    help please
    btw. the "math class" is high school informal geometry.
    plz and ty
    dustergirl
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dustergirl View Post
    we are studying polygons and trapezoids in my math class. i dont understand any of it. and we are also studying kites in the class.
    can anyone help me understand or give me the formulas to figure it out.
    help please
    btw. the "math class" is high school informal geometry.
    plz and ty
    dustergirl
    Hi dustergirl,

    You need to fill us in on what you do not understand. It would be helpful to you if you knew the characteristics of these polygons. What formulas do you need? Area? Perimeter? Be more specific.

    Here are characteristics of quadrilaterals.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    well we are learning the area as well as the perimeter. im just confused in general. if you could help me with this it would be much obliged.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    65
    Greetings,

    In lower classes, when you first encounter polygons, I trust you are merely required to know things by heart. For instance the formula for finding a trapezoid's area, S = (a+b)*h/2, a and b being the lenght of the bases, h - height of the trapezoid. In upper classes you will probably see why this is so, but for now: write it down several times until you remember it.

    Knowing the definitions for some polygons may also reduce your confusion:

    For example: what is a trapezoid?
    It is a quadrilateral with two parallel sides. ( Quadrilateral is a four-sided polygon )
    If it has two more parallel sides, then it becomes a rectangle or parallelogram. If all the sides are equal, it is a square or rhombus.

    You can make use of Google's glossary to find definitions for various objects, like: define: quadrilateral - Google Search

    You also very likely to find easy to understand information and explanations about basic shapes on Wikipedia .

    Have a safe and productive day.
    Last edited by Logic; April 9th 2009 at 07:38 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dustergirl View Post
    well we are learning the area as well as the perimeter. im just confused in general. if you could help me with this it would be much obliged.
    Hi dustergirl,

    Click on this link I provided for you in my first post? Did it help?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hi dustergirl,

    Click on this link I provided for you in my first post? Did it help?
    yes it helped very much. for some reason when the teacher explains it its what confused kids call greek or some foreign language (lol) but now that i looked at that link yes i understand much better.
    thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dustergirl View Post
    yes it helped very much. for some reason when the teacher explains it its what confused kids call greek or some foreign language (lol) but now that i looked at that link yes i understand much better.
    thank you.
    Hi dustergirl,

    You're welcome. Post any specific question you may have and we'll be happy to answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    if i ever need help again i will let you know. (it shall be in the near future.)
    lol
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hi dustergirl,

    You're welcome. Post any specific question you may have and we'll be happy to answer.
    ya the near future was sooner than i thought. its a normal polygon and the figures they are giving me are 11 m and for the base its 17 meters.
    i must find the height and the area of the polygon in question.
    help please and thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dustergirl View Post
    ya the near future was sooner than i thought. its a normal polygon and the figures they are giving me are 11 m and for the base its 17 meters.
    i must find the height and the area of the polygon in question.
    help please and thank you.
    Hi dustergirl,

    I need to know what kind of polygon it is. Be more specific when describing the measures of the sides.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hi dustergirl,

    I need to know what kind of polygon it is. Be more specific when describing the measures of the sides.
    sorry its a parallelogram with a triangle on one side. i am so confused.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    65
    It seems like a trapezoid to me.
    The presence of height and bases would be consistent with this presumption.
    However, if 11 is the other base, finding the height may not be possible. Hence the area since it is height-dependent.
    Possibly the same is valid if 11 is the lenght of the sides?

    Either not enough data is given, or the presumption of the polygon being a trapezoid is invalid.

    Perhaps you could provide us with a diagram?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    65
    I trust I have got this right.

    The configuration must be identical with the one given below.
    Now, all the red lines serve as a height, however finding the one in the triangle would be easiest.
    There are numerous ways for finding it, but I am uncertain whether I can show you a way which you have already studied.
    For instance, you could use

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/8...ad4155ab7a.png

    Heron's formula for finding the area of the triangle, A being the area, s - half of the perimeter and then use the classical formula for finding the area of a triangle - A = a*h / 2. This would give h = 2A/a or twice the area of the triangle which you found with heron's formula divided by a or in this case 11.

    The area of the whole trapezoid would then be 17+6 divided by h.



    There is also a formula that would render this whole word useless stating that: in every triangle with three equal sides, the height of the triangle equals the lenght of the side, multiplied by square root of 3 and divided by 2 or h = a*V3 / 2, V3 being sqare root of 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i need help understanding-untitled.jpg  
    Last edited by Logic; April 15th 2009 at 02:28 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    hey man thanks alot. i totally understand it now. that will also help me next year. ttyl
    thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] understanding sub u
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 4th 2011, 05:30 AM
  2. not understanding
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 16th 2009, 07:46 PM
  3. Need help understanding something...
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 4th 2009, 11:03 PM
  4. Need help understanding
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 18th 2009, 09:30 AM
  5. need help understanding this....
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 13th 2007, 05:14 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum