Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Height of Pyramid

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    Height of Pyramid

    If the volume of the pyramid is 192 yd^3 and the area of the base is 64 yd^2, what is the height of the pyramid?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    461
    Hi mate

    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    If the volume of the pyramid is 192 yd^3 and the area of the base is 64 yd^2, what is the height of the pyramid?
    I guess it is just

     V = \frac{1}{3} Bh , where B is the area

    V = 192 yd^3 ;V = \frac{1}{3} Bh where B is the area
    B = 64 yd^2

    => V = \frac{1}{3} Bh

    => 192 \ yd^3 = \frac{1}{3} 64 \ yd^2 *h

    => h = 3*192 \ yd^3 / (64 \ yd^2) = 9 \ yd


    Rapha
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Banned
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    If the volume of the pyramid is 192 yd^3 and the area of the base is 64 yd^2, what is the height of the pyramid?

    By defintion, the volume of a square based pyramid is given by

    Vol = (1/3) x Perpendicular Height x Area of Base

    Subbing in the known parameters yields

    192 = (1/3) x Perpendicular Height x 64

    Thus,

    the Perpendicular Height = (3 x 192) / 64

    Hope this helps,

    Regards,

    David
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    ok............

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
    Hi mate



    I guess it is just

     V = \frac{1}{3} Bh , where B is the area

    V = 192 yd^3 ;V = \frac{1}{3} Bh where B is the area
    B = 64 yd^2

    => V = \frac{1}{3} Bh

    => 192 \ yd^3 = \frac{1}{3} 64 \ yd^2 *h

    => h = 3*192 \ yd^3 / (64 \ yd^2) = 9 \ yd


    Rapha
    I thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    ok...............

    Quote Originally Posted by David24 View Post
    By defintion, the volume of a square based pyramid is given by

    Vol = (1/3) x Perpendicular Height x Area of Base

    Subbing in the known parameters yields

    192 = (1/3) x Perpendicular Height x 64

    Thus,

    the Perpendicular Height = (3 x 192) / 64

    Hope this helps,

    Regards,

    David
    I thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. The height of a pyramid
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 24th 2011, 01:52 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 30th 2011, 03:34 AM
  3. Pyramid's height
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 3rd 2010, 10:49 AM
  4. Slant height of a pyramid
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 11th 2010, 10:50 AM
  5. hexagonal pyramid height
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 17th 2010, 08:52 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum