Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Help - Geometric Series.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4

    Help - Geometric Series.

    Hi,
    I just found this site, looks like a great place. I'm looking for some help regarding a question in one of my assignments, I can't seem to figure it out with my material at hand.

    http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8941/img5274pb5.jpg
    That is the problem in question.
    Now the problem is that I don't even know where to begin. If someone could just give me a hand in understanding what needs to be done to solve it that would be fantastic, I've been melting my brain trying to solve it. I'm sure the solution is quite simple, a few times I've ended up with k=1 being an answer, but I couldn't seem to prove that once I was finished.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishsticks View Post
    Hi,
    I just found this site, looks like a great place. I'm looking for some help regarding a question in one of my assignments, I can't seem to figure it out with my material at hand.

    http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8941/img5274pb5.jpg
    That is the problem in question.
    Now the problem is that I don't even know where to begin. If someone could just give me a hand in understanding what needs to be done to solve it that would be fantastic, I've been melting my brain trying to solve it. I'm sure the solution is quite simple, a few times I've ended up with k=1 being an answer, but I couldn't seem to prove that once I was finished.
    The question is asking you to find the largest k such that:

    100 \left( \frac{11}{17}  \right)^{k-1}-50 \left( \frac{14}{17}  \right)^{k-1}>14

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4
    Thank you for your help, I however still can't figure out how to solve it.

    It may be asking a bit much, but could you walk me through solving it so I can better understand what was required? Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    The question is asking you to find the largest k such that:

    100 \left( \frac{11}{17}  \right)^{k-1}-50 \left( \frac{14}{17}  \right)^{k-1}>14

    RonL
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishsticks View Post
    Thank you for your help, I however still can't figure out how to solve it.

    It may be asking a bit much, but could you walk me through solving it so I can better understand what was required? Thanks.
    You start with k=1 and check if:

    100 \left( \frac{11}{17}  \right)^{k-1}-50 \left( \frac{14}{17}  \right)^{k-1}>14

    if so try k=2, ..

    Being lazy I automate this as in the code fragment below, to find the required k is 2.

    Code:
    >
    >k=[1:5]
    Column 1 to 3:
                1             2             3 
    Column 4 to 5:
                4             5 
    >
    >100*(11/17)^(k-1)-50*(14/17)^(k-1)
    Column 1 to 3:
               50       23.5294       7.95848 
    Column 4 to 5:
        -0.834521      -5.46809 
    >

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Taylor Series using Geometric Series.
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 1st 2010, 04:17 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 29th 2010, 06:11 AM
  3. Geometric Progression or Geometric Series
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 8th 2009, 07:31 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 1st 2008, 12:06 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 23rd 2007, 08:47 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum