Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By earboth

Math Help - find the equation of the lines.

  1. #1
    rcs
    rcs is offline
    Senior Member rcs's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    From
    iligan city. Philippines
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    2

    find the equation of the lines.

    there are two lines through the given point, which are tangent to the given curve. Find the equation each of these lines.

    4x^2- 5xy + 2y^2 + 3x - 2y = 0 , P ( 2,3)

    need assistance on this please.

    thank you
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123

    Re: find the equation of the lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcs View Post
    there are two lines through the given point, which are tangent to the given curve. Find the equation each of these lines.

    4x^2- 5xy + 2y^2 + 3x - 2y = 0 , P ( 2,3)

    need assistance on this please.

    thank you
    1. All lines passing through P have the equation: y = m(x-2)+3

    2. Replace the term y in your equation of the ellipse by m(x-2)+3. You'll get a quadratic in x:

    x^2(2m^2 - 5m + 4) - x(8m^2 - 20m + 12) + 4(2m^2 - 5m + 3) = 0

    Solve for x.

    3. Usually a straight line intercepts an ellipse in 2 or in 1 point or it is a passante that means there are no common points. The case that there exists only one point of interception occurs if the straight line is a tangent to the ellipse. This will happen if the discriminant equals zero:

    \sqrt{- 2m^2 + 5m - 3 - 2m^2 + 5m - 3)} = 0

    Solve for m. You should come out with m = 1~\vee~m=\frac32

    4. Plug in these values into the equation of the line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails find the equation of the lines.-tanganellipse.png  
    Thanks from rcs
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    rcs
    rcs is offline
    Senior Member rcs's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    From
    iligan city. Philippines
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    2

    Re: find the equation of the lines.

    thank you for enlightening my brain... millions of thanks sir.
    God Bless
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    rcs
    rcs is offline
    Senior Member rcs's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    From
    iligan city. Philippines
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    2

    Re: find the equation of the lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    1. All lines passing through P have the equation: y = m(x-2)+3

    2. Replace the term y in your equation of the ellipse by m(x-2)+3. You'll get a quadratic in x:

    x^2(2m^2 - 5m + 4) - x(8m^2 - 20m + 12) + 4(2m^2 - 5m + 3) = 0

    Solve for x.

    3. Usually a straight line intercepts an ellipse in 2 or in 1 point or it is a passante that means there are no common points. The case that there exists only one point of interception occurs if the straight line is a tangent to the ellipse. This will happen if the discriminant equals zero:

    \sqrt{- 2m^2 + 5m - 3 - 2m^2 + 5m - 3)} = 0

    Solve for m. You should come out with m = 1~\vee~m=\frac32

    4. Plug in these values into the equation of the line.

    sir i just dont get when you said to use the y as m(x-2)+3 to ellipse equation?... but what is the ellipse formula sir?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123

    Re: find the equation of the lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcs View Post
    there are two lines through the given point, which are tangent to the given curve. Find the equation each of these lines.

    4x^2- 5xy + 2y^2 + 3x - 2y = 0 , P ( 2,3)

    need assistance on this please.

    thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs View Post
    sir i just dont get when you said to use the y as m(x-2)+3 to ellipse equation?... but what is the ellipse formula sir?
    The marked equation describes an ellipse, not the ellipse.

    From the attachment of my first post you can see that you have a "tilted" ellipse, that means the axes are not parallel to the coordinate axes, but the curve is still an ellipse.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    rcs
    rcs is offline
    Senior Member rcs's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    From
    iligan city. Philippines
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    2

    Re: find the equation of the lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    The marked equation describes an ellipse, not the ellipse.

    From the attachment of my first post you can see that you have a "tilted" ellipse, that means the axes are not parallel to the coordinate axes, but the curve is still an ellipse.
    i got it sir... i solved it manually and i was able to get that equation equal to 0. something that stuck me how you got square root (-2m^2 +5m -3 -2m^2 +5m - 3) = 0... is that the discriminant sir? which being plugged in by the values of the equation above?

    thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. find equation of lines thru (4,10) and tangent
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 22nd 2012, 08:11 AM
  2. Equation of tangent lines, find intersection
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 1st 2011, 09:07 AM
  3. Find Equation of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 3rd 2010, 01:14 AM
  4. Find the equation of both lines?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 21st 2010, 06:05 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 25th 2009, 09:41 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum