Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4

    Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

    A classic pyramid with square footprint, hight h, sidelength a and volume V.
    Like seen, eg. in Square Pyramid Calculator


    Original question:
    Assume it is a hollow container, with infinitively thin walls. It's filled with a volume of water = V/2, ie, it is half full (by volume). How far up from the bottom would the water reach, expressed in units of h, ie. How deep will the water be inside the pyramid, compared to the total hight of the pyramid.


    My question:
    Can this be solved in general, ie. Without knowing any specific values of h and a? Is the depth of water always a specific (constant) fraction of h. Or is the answer depending on the slant angle of the pyramid surface?




    For completeness. The original question mentions specific values of h and a, I can't remember the values, but lets say h=300m and a=200m, though this is of cause not relevant for my question...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    4

    Re: Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

    you can try h' = 0.707*h and a' = 0.707*a
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,806
    Thanks
    116

    Re: Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHammer View Post
    A classic pyramid with square footprint, hight h, sidelength a and volume V.
    Like seen, eg. in Square Pyramid Calculator


    Original question:
    Assume it is a hollow container, with infinitively thin walls. It's filled with a volume of water = V/2, ie, it is half full (by volume). How far up from the bottom would the water reach, expressed in units of h, ie. How deep will the water be inside the pyramid, compared to the total hight of the pyramid.


    My question:
    Can this be solved in general, ie. <--- yes
    1. I assume that a is the sidelength of base square of the pyramid.

    2. The volume of the pyramid is calculated by:

    V_1 = \frac13 \cdot a^2 \cdot h

    You are looking for a pyramid with V_2 = \frac12 \cdot V_1 with a' as the sidelength of the square and h' as the height of the smaller pyramid.

    3. Use proportion: \dfrac ha=\dfrac{h'}{a'}~\implies~a'=\dfrac ah \cdot h'

    4. Now you know:

    \frac13 \cdot (a')^2 \cdot h' =\frac12 \cdot \frac13 \cdot (a)^2 \cdot h

     \left(\frac ah \cdot h' \right)^2 \cdot h' =\frac12 \cdot (a)^2 \cdot h

    (h')^3 = \frac12 \cdot h^3~\implies~h'=h \cdot \sqrt[3]{\frac12} = \frac12 \cdot h \cdot \sqrt[3]{4} \approx 0.7937\ h

    5. Plug in this value into the equation of #3 to determine the value of a'.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4

    Re: Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

    Dear earboth

    A million thanks. I could not have hoped for a more complete and fulfilling answer.

    Mike
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4

    Re: Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

    Having looked closer on your calculations... I can follow you clearly as far as 3., but in 4. I get confused.

    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    4. Now you know:

    \frac13 \cdot (a')^2 \cdot h' =\frac12 \cdot \frac13 \cdot (a)^2 \cdot h

     \left(\frac ah \cdot h' \right)^2 \cdot h' =\frac12 \cdot (a)^2 \cdot h
    until here it's clear ... but how do you get from that to this next line?

    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post

    (h')^3 = \frac12 \cdot h^3~\implies~h'=h \cdot \sqrt[3]{\frac12} = \frac12 \cdot h \cdot \sqrt[3]{4} \approx 0.7937\ h
    Can you please spell that out in more details for me.

    Regards Mike
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,806
    Thanks
    116

    Re: Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHammer View Post
    Having looked closer on your calculations... I can follow you clearly as far as 3., but in 4. I get confused.

    until here it's clear ... but how do you get from that to this next line?

    Can you please spell that out in more details for me.

    Regards Mike
    1. Expand the bracket:

    \left(\frac ah \cdot h' \right)^2 \cdot h'=\frac12 \cdot (a)^2 \cdot h~\implies~\frac{a^2}{h^2} \cdot h'^2  \cdot h'=\frac12 \cdot (a)^2 \cdot h

    2. Collect like terms and multiply through by h^2

    a^2 \cdot h'^3=\frac12 \cdot (a)^2 \cdot h^3

    3. Divide through by a^2

     h'^3=\frac12 \cdot  h^3

    4. Now calculate the 3rd root as shown in the last line of my previous post.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4

    Re: Hight of pyramid, at half it's volume?

    Thanks again. Now even I got it :-)

    Mike
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Volume of Pyramid..
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 23rd 2010, 02:59 AM
  2. Volume of a Pyramid
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 27th 2010, 08:08 PM
  3. Volume of a pyramid
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 12th 2009, 08:26 PM
  4. Volume of a pyramid
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 1st 2009, 07:57 PM
  5. Volume of Sand in a Pyramid
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 4th 2007, 01:12 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum