Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Divided triangle, proportion question

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99

    Thumbs up Divided triangle, proportion question

    Hi Forum!
    Here's a question:

    Nine lines parallel to the base divide the other sides into 10 equal segments and the area in 10 distinct parts. If the area of the larger of these parts is 38, then the area of the original triangle is?

    Now,we can consider the remaining 9 parts of the triangle as 9/10 of it.
    But, here comes the part that I don't understand.
    The area can be considered as 81/100 to the entire triangle.

    I'm confused with the usage of the area here. I does makes a lot of sense,
    but since we are in a triangle (the remaining 9/10 will be a triangle too) the area isn't supposed to be bh1/2?

    This is kind of confusing to apply. Can someone help?
    Why 81/100?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,829
    Thanks
    123

    Re: Divided triangle, proportion question

    Quote Originally Posted by Zellator View Post
    Hi Forum!
    Here's a question:

    Nine lines parallel to the base divide the other sides into 10 equal segments and the area in 10 distinct parts. If the area of the larger of these parts is 38, then the area of the original triangle is?

    Now,we can consider the remaining 9 parts of the triangle as 9/10 of it.
    But, here comes the part that I don't understand.
    The area can be considered as 81/100 to the entire triangle.

    I'm confused with the usage of the area here. I does makes a lot of sense,
    but since we are in a triangle (the remaining 9/10 will be a triangle too) the area isn't supposed to be bh1/2?

    This is kind of confusing to apply. Can someone help?
    Why 81/100?
    1. Draw a sketch!

    2. By proportion you'll get:

    \dfrac bB = \dfrac9{10}~\implies~b=\frac9{10} \cdot B

    \dfrac hH = \dfrac9{10}~\implies~h=\frac9{10} \cdot H

    3. The area of the original triangle is calculated by:

    A_o = \frac12 \cdot B \cdot H

    The area of the smaller triangle is calculated by:

    A_s = \frac12 \cdot b \cdot h = \frac12 \cdot \frac9{10} \cdot B \cdot \frac9{10} \cdot H = \frac{81}{100} \cdot A_o
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Divided triangle, proportion question-flteil3eck.png  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99

    Re: Divided triangle, proportion question

    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    1. Draw a sketch!

    2. By proportion you'll get:

    \dfrac bB = \dfrac9{10}~\implies~b=\frac9{10} \cdot B

    \dfrac hH = \dfrac9{10}~\implies~h=\frac9{10} \cdot H

    3. The area of the original triangle is calculated by:

    A_o = \frac12 \cdot B \cdot H

    The area of the smaller triangle is calculated by:

    A_s = \frac12 \cdot b \cdot h = \frac12 \cdot \frac9{10} \cdot B \cdot \frac9{10} \cdot H = \frac{81}{100} \cdot A_o
    Hi earboth!
    Thanks for the graph! You really exceed in Geometry!
    Thanks for the easy to understand explanation, I get it now!
    Using this is possible to calculate the area of the smaller triangle, and then the original triangle.
    Great! Thanks again!

    All the best!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Trumbull Ct
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    27

    Re: Divided triangle, proportion question

    Hi Zellator,
    Does the given area of 38 sq units refer to the larger (largest?) of the 10 parts or to the larger of two parts?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99

    Re: Divided triangle, proportion question

    Quote Originally Posted by bjhopper View Post
    Hi Zellator,
    Does the given area of 38 sq units refer to the larger (largest?) of the 10 parts or to the larger of two parts?
    Hi bjhopper how are you?
    The area given is of the largest portion of the divided triangle, looking at the graph of earboth, the portion underneath the red triangle.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Inverse proportion/Direct proportion question
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 26th 2011, 07:22 AM
  2. Triangle divided...
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 9th 2010, 05:40 PM
  3. Divided Differences - quick question
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 28th 2010, 03:22 AM
  4. triangle divided into isosceles triangles
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 12th 2008, 11:28 AM
  5. proportion triangle
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 29th 2007, 02:30 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum