Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Parallel Transport (Plane)

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    218

    Parallel Transport (Plane)

    I'm just wondering what parallel transport in the plane mean. I drew the following picture: Parallel Transport (Plane)-pt.jpg
    So does Parallel Transport say that a=a* and b=b*?

    Any help would be greately appreciated.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by statmajor View Post
    I'm just wondering what parallel transport in the plane mean. I drew the following picture: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PT.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	20642
    So does Parallel Transport say that a=a* and b=b*?

    Any help would be greately appreciated.
    I am not familiar with that term, but if ab is parralel to a*b*, then a and a* and b and b* have the same angle.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    218
    I'm trying to prove that a=a* and b=b* using only the fact that the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees.

    In my diagram, there are 2 triangles: ABC and A*B*C

    a + b + c = 180 and a* + b* + c =180 (a,b,a*,b,c are angles)

    since both equations equal to 180, I equate them to each other and subtract angle c from both sides to get:

    a + b = a* + b*.

    I'm stuck here. I proved that their sum is the same, but not the angles. Do you have any suggestions?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by statmajor View Post
    I'm trying to prove that a=a* and b=b* using only the fact that the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees.

    In my diagram, there are 2 triangles: ABC and A*B*C

    a + b + c = 180 and a* + b* + c =180 (a,b,a*,b,c are angles)

    since both equations equal to 180, I equate them to each other and subtract angle c from both sides to get:

    a + b = a* + b*.

    I'm stuck here. I proved that their sum is the same, but not the angles. Do you have any suggestions?
    Is the line ab parallel to a*b*?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    218
    Yes, it is.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by statmajor View Post
    Yes, it is.
    Because they are parallel, a=a* and b=b*.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    218
    What if I didn't know that the two lines were parallel?

    What I'm tring to prove is that angles are congruent (using only the fact that the sum of the interior angles is 180). Would you know how?

    I started what I thought was the correct method (my earlier post), but got stuck.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by statmajor View Post
    What if I didn't know that the two lines were parallel?

    What I'm tring to prove is that angles are congruent (using only the fact that the sum of the interior angles is 180). Would you know how?

    I started what I thought was the correct method (my earlier post), but got stuck.
    I don't think you can get anywhere unless you know those two lines are paralle.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Parallel transport frame
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 16th 2011, 12:25 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 4th 2011, 10:59 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 5th 2010, 05:46 PM
  4. Parallel Transport
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 26th 2010, 09:25 PM
  5. Parallel Transport on the Plane
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 26th 2010, 09:20 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum