Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Ratio 3 problem medium

  1. #1
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1

    Ratio 3 problem medium

    hello guys got stuck on my last exercise of ratio today, Is kind of easy but i don't know what steps to go for... i did read the book but im still confused

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    hello guys got stuck on my last exercise of ratio today, Is kind of easy but i don't know what steps to go for... i did read the book but im still confused

    \displaystyle\frac{1}{7}\cdot\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{  y}\cdot\frac{1}{7}\Rightarrow x\cdot\frac{2}{7x}=\frac{1}{y}\cdot x=\cdots
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    \displaystyle\frac{1}{7}\cdot\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{  y}\cdot\frac{1}{7}\Rightarrow x\cdot\frac{2}{7x}=\frac{1}{y}\cdot x=\cdots
    How did you got that [tex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{7}[/tex]
    The book Does not give me a 1
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    How did you got that [tex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{7}[/tex]
    The book Does not give me a 1
    Divide by 7.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    Divide by 7.
    Sorry if ill keep asking the same question but is there any reason for this?
    i mean i got [tex]\frac{2}{7}\frac{?}{?}[/tex]
    So the equals sign say that we don't know that number so i believe it can be any number, You understand how im i getting confuse?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    Sorry if ill keep asking the same question but is there any reason for this?
    i mean i got [tex]\frac{2}{7}\frac{?}{?}[/tex]
    So the equals sign say that we don't know that number so i believe it can be any number, You understand how im i getting confuse?
    \displaystyle\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{y}\cdot\frac{7}{  7}

    7/7 is 1, so we aren't doing anything to the equation by multiplying by 1.

    \displaystyle\frac{1}{7}\cdot\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{  y}\cdot\frac{1}{7}\Rightarrow\frac{2}{7x}=\frac{1}  {y}

    \displaystyle\frac{x}{x}\cdot\frac{2}{7x}=\frac{1}  {y}\Rightarrow x\cdot\frac{2}{7x}=x\cdot\frac{1}{y}

    x/x is 1 too so we didn't do anything to the equation.

    \displaystyle\frac{2}{7}=\frac{x}{y}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1

    Ration

    OH that is the answer? Still confusing for me ! Oh i see some notes on this but it just does not match the problem
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    OH that is the answer? Still confusing for me ! Oh i see some notes on this but it just does not match the problem
    \displaystyle\frac{7}{7}=1

    Multiplying by doesn't change the equality. Same applies to x/x.

    I don't understand what you don't get. Can you be more specific?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    \displaystyle\frac{7}{7}=1

    Multiplying by doesn't change the equality. Same applies to x/x.

    I don't understand what you don't get. Can you be more specific?
    Ok.. Sorry for that let me try to explain.

    I started with [tex]\frac{2}{X} = \frac{7}{y} Then \frac {2}{7} = \frac {?}{?}[/tex]
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    Ok.. Sorry for that let me try to explain.

    I started with [tex]\frac{2}{X} = \frac{7}{y} Then \frac {2}{7} = \frac {?}{?}[/tex]
    Then Post 6 shows the math progression.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    Ok.. Sorry for that let me try to explain.

    I started with [tex]\frac{2}{X} = \frac{7}{y} Then \frac {2}{7} = \frac {?}{?}[/tex]
    so i believe THe result would be {2y}{7x}[/tex] because we are multiplying it?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    so i believe THe result would be {2y}{7x}[/tex] because we are multiplying it?
    \displaystyle\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{y}\cdot\frac{7}{  7} \ \text{7 divided by 7 is 1 so we aren't changing the equality by multiplying by 1.}

    \displaystyle\frac{1}{7}\cdot\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{  y}\cdot\frac{1}{7} \ \text{lets prove this is the same as the above equation.}

    If we multiply both sides by 7, we will have 1 and 7/7.

    \displaystyle 7\cdot\frac{1}{7}\Rightarrow\frac{7}{7}\Rightarrow 1\cdot\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{y}\cdot\frac{1}{7}\cdot 7\Rightarrow\frac{2}{y}\cdot\frac{7}{7} \ \text{as you can see, the 7 on the left hand side back to the right.}

    Same for the x.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    \displaystyle\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{y}\cdot\frac{7}{  7} \ \text{7 divided by 7 is 1 so we aren't changing the equality by multiplying by 1.}

    \displaystyle\frac{1}{7}\cdot\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{  y}\cdot\frac{1}{7} \ \text{lets prove this is the same as the above equation.}

    If we multiply both sides by 7, we will have 1 and 7/7.

    \displaystyle 7\cdot\frac{1}{7}\Rightarrow\frac{7}{7}\Rightarrow 1\cdot\frac{2}{x}=\frac{7}{y}\cdot\frac{1}{7}\cdot 7\Rightarrow\frac{2}{y}\cdot\frac{7}{7} \ \text{as you can see, the 7 on the left hand side back to the right.}

    Same for the x.
    oh ok thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Angles of light hiting a more dense medium
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 26th 2011, 12:59 AM
  2. Motion in a resisting medium
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 17th 2009, 05:35 AM
  3. Motion in a resisting medium
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug 30th 2009, 08:37 PM
  4. Ratio problem.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar 2nd 2009, 07:22 PM
  5. Ratio Problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 6th 2007, 11:34 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum