Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Perimeter of a Triangle

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    From
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    11

    Perimeter of a Triangle

    I am preparing for my placement test for college, and I'm stuck on this perimeter problem (it's been awhile since high school):

    Two sides of a triangle must be 8 m and 12 m. The perimeter must be at least 24 m, at most 39 m,. determine the length that can be used for the third side.

    If you get it, please explain it to me...I feel like there isn't enough information to figure it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tigersblood View Post
    I am preparing for my placement test for college, and I'm stuck on this perimeter problem (it's been awhile since high school):

    Two sides of a triangle must be 8 m and 12 m. The perimeter must be at least 24 m, at most 39 m,. determine the length that can be used for the third side.

    If you get it, please explain it to me...I feel like there isn't enough information to figure it.
    The length of those 2 sides together will be 20 metres. To get 24, we need at least 4 metres, and for 39 we need at least 19 metres. So the third side can be anything between 4 and 19 metres.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member

    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Lexington, MA (USA)
    Posts
    11,683
    Thanks
    615
    Hello, tigersblood!

    Two sides of a triangle must be 8 m and 12 m.
    The perimeter must be at least 24 m, at most 39 m.
    Determine the length that can be used for the third side.
    Let x = length of the third side.

    Then the perimeter is: . x + 8 + 12 \:=\:x + 20


    The perimeter must be at least 24: . x + 20 \:\geq \:24\quad\Rightarrow\quad x \:\geq \:4

    The perimeter must be at most 39: . x + 20 \:\leq \:39\quad\Rightarrow\quad x \:\leq \:19


    Therefore, the third side must between 4 m and 19 m, inclusive.

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,605
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
    Therefore, the third side must between 4 m and 19 m, inclusive.
    Here is a question for that solution.
    Can there be a triangle with sides of length 4,8, & 12?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Here is a question for that solution.
    Can there be a triangle with sides of length 4,8, & 12?
    well, no. not unless we can think of a straight line as a very weird triangle where the sides overlap each other
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Perimeter of right triangle?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 9th 2012, 07:56 AM
  2. right triangle and its perimeter
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 27th 2011, 12:42 AM
  3. triangle perimeter
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 18th 2010, 06:25 AM
  4. Perimeter of a triangle
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 8th 2010, 05:16 PM
  5. perimeter of a triangle?? huh??
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 26th 2008, 06:55 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum