Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Hypotenuse ???

  1. #1
    Junior Member whytechocolate01's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    On A Cloud Over There Somewhere
    Posts
    46

    Unhappy Hypotenuse ???

    The legs of a right triangle are 3 and 4. Find the length of the hypnotuse.... Please explain!

    Thanks in advance.
    WhyteChocolate
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    60
    The hypotenuse is the longest side of a triangle and is opposite the right-angle in a right-angled triangle. From what you tell me, Phythagoras theorem shall be used here. Where:

    c^2 = a^2 + b^2 (note, a b and c can be any value) in this case the c represents the hypotenuse (its the longest side)

    so, you have 3 and 4 as the other lengths. THat means
    c^2 = 3^2 + 4^2
    = 9 + 16
    = 25
    c = sq. root 25
    = 5

    Happy to help!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Geometor View Post
    The hypotenuse is the longest side of a triangle and is opposite the right-angle in a right-angled triangle. From what you tell me, Phythagoras theorem shall be used here. Where:

    c^2 = a^2 + b^2 (note, a b and c can be any value) in this case the c represents the hypotenuse (its the longest side)

    so, you have 3 and 4 as the other lengths. THat means
    c^2 = 3^2 + 4^2
    = 9 + 16
    = 25
    c = sq. root 25
    = 5

    Happy to help!
    Geometor is absolutely right, but i'd just like to point out that this is the famous 3-4-5 triangle, so with experience you would know that the answer is 5 without doing any calculations. it works for anything in propotion as well.

    so if the legs were: 12 and 16, the answer for the hypotenuse would be 20, without even doing calculations (you can check this if you don't believe me)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by whytechocolate01 View Post
    The legs of a right triangle are 3 and 4. Find the length of the hypnotuse.... Please explain!

    Thanks in advance.
    WhyteChocolate
    for the record, whenever you see a right-triangle, the first thing you should think of is Pythagoras' theorem, it's almost always the formula to use when dealing with problems of that nature
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    Geometor is absolutely right, but i'd just like to point out that this is the famous 3-4-5 triangle, so with experience you would know that the answer is 5 without doing any calculations. it works for anything in propotion as well.

    so if the legs were: 12 and 16, the answer for the hypotenuse would be 20, without even doing calculations (you can check this if you don't believe me)
    thank you for adding on but to expand on your point. If 3-4-5 triangle exists in phythagoras theorem so there also is a 6-8-10 (2(3-4-5), 9-12-15(33-4-5) triangle. This may be useful when a question asks you to list the lengths of a triangle solved by pythagoras.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Geometor View Post
    thank you for adding on but to expand on your point. If 3-4-5 triangle exists in phythagoras theorem so there also is a 6-8-10 (2(3-4-5), 9-12-15(33-4-5) triangle. This may be useful when a question asks you to list the lengths of a triangle solved by pythagoras.
    you're right. that's the point i was making with my 12-16-20 triangle example, that is 4*(3-4-5)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. find hypotenuse
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 6th 2011, 07:34 AM
  2. right triangle's hypotenuse
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 13th 2009, 09:29 AM
  3. hypotenuse question
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 18th 2008, 05:49 PM
  4. right triangle with given hypotenuse help!
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 29th 2008, 01:26 PM
  5. hypotenuse help please
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 24th 2007, 11:11 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum