Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Recurrence Relation HELP

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    14

    Recurrence Relation HELP

    1. In predicting future sales of a product, one assumption is to say that the amount sold next year will be the average of the amount sold this year and last year. Suppose that
    an is the amount sold in year n.


    (a) Find a recurrence relation for an.
    (b) Solve the recurrence relation if a0 = a1 = 1.


    What i have found so far is that "an = 2an+1 - an-1"

    AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK? PLEASE HELP ASAP!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by sanorita_belle View Post
    1. In predicting future sales of a product, one assumption is to say that the amount sold next year will be the average of the amount sold this year and last year. Suppose that
    an is the amount sold in year n.


    (a) Find a recurrence relation for an.
    (b) Solve the recurrence relation if a0 = a1 = 1.


    What i have found so far is that "an = 2an+1 - an-1"

    AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK? PLEASE HELP ASAP!
    It is normal for recurences to be causal (that is the n-th term depends only on earlier terms:

    a_{n+1}=(a_n+a_{n-1})/2

    so:

    a_{n}=(a_{n-1}+a_{n-2})/2

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    It is normal for recurences to be causal (that is the n-th term depends only on earlier terms:

    a_{n+1}=(a_n+a_{n-1})/2

    so:

    a_{n}=(a_{n-1}+a_{n-2})/2

    CB

    How did you get  a_{n-2}? Can you please explain a bit more? Thanks in advance!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by sanorita_belle View Post
    How did you get  a_{n-2}? Can you please explain a bit more? Thanks in advance!
    n is a dummy variable it can be replaced with anything you want so replace n by n-1

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    14
    I tried solving this recurrence relation, and i got two roots x=1, x= -1/2

    then i wrote it in the general form of the solution as:

     a_{n} = A (1)^ n + B (-1/2)^ n for some constants A and B.

    Then by substituting the given initial values and solving equations, i got A= 1, B=0

    So according to this the solution should be,  a_{n} = 1^n .

    Does it make sense? Can i have a solution of the form  a_{n} = 1^n which means that solution is always 1?

    Please reply back asap!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Recurrence relation
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 15th 2011, 11:27 PM
  2. recurrence relation
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 18th 2010, 02:15 AM
  3. Recurrence Relation Q
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 30th 2009, 11:57 PM
  4. recurrence relation
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 15th 2009, 06:20 PM
  5. Recurrence relation
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 16th 2008, 08:02 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum