Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - Intersection of infinite sets that contain each other

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    Intersection of infinite sets that contain each other

    If each A_i is a set containing infinite elements, and A_1 contains A_2 contains A_3 contains ... on and on, then is the intersection of all these sets infinite?

    I think the intersection of all the sets is infinite cause cause no matter how far you go down the A_i's that particular A_i will contain infinite elements and the intersection of all the sets before it, and including it, will be equal to A_i. So is my reasoning correct? Because maybe maybe as i approaches infinity the sets somehow get smaller?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,959
    Thanks
    1783
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eddi View Post
    If each A_i is a set containing infinite elements, and A_1 contains A_2 contains A_3 contains ... on and on, then is the intersection of all these sets infinite?
    Is this what the question says: \left( {\forall n} \right)\left[ {\left| {A_n } \right| = \infty \,\& \,A_n  \subseteq A_{n + 1} } \right]?
    That is, each set is infinite and each set is a subset of the ‘next’ set in the indexing.

    If that is correct, the notice A_1  = \bigcap\limits_n {A_n } .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Is this what the question says: \left( {\forall n} \right)\left[ {\left| {A_n } \right| = \infty \,\& \,A_n \subseteq A_{n + 1} } \right]?
    That is, each set is infinite and each set is a subset of the ‘next’ set in the indexing.

    If that is correct, the notice A_1 = \bigcap\limits_n {A_n } .
    I think the subset symbol goes the other way:
    \left( {\forall n} \right)\left[ {\left| {A_n } \right| = \infty \,\& \,A_{n + 1} \subseteq A_n } \right]

    So A_\infty = \bigcap\limits_n {A_n } . If that makes any sense...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,959
    Thanks
    1783
    Awards
    1
    In that case, the intersection may well be empty.
    Consider: \begin{gathered}  A_n  = \left\{ {n,n + 1,n + 2, \cdots } \right\} \hfill \\  ex.\quad A_{10}  = \left\{ {10,11,12, \cdots } \right\} \hfill \\ \end{gathered}

    Then \emptyset  = \bigcap\limits_n {A_n } .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    In that case, the intersection may well be empty.
    Consider: \begin{gathered} A_n = \left\{ {n,n + 1,n + 2, \cdots } \right\} \hfill \\ ex.\quad A_{10} = \left\{ {10,11,12, \cdots } \right\} \hfill \\ \end{gathered}

    Then \emptyset = \bigcap\limits_n {A_n } .

    I haven't slept yet so maybe that's why I can't really see why \emptyset = \bigcap\limits_n {A_n } . haha.

    I guess I forgot to say that n is part of the natural numbers...

    As n -> \infty does |A_n| -> 0? Because in that example I can't see how A_n gets "less infinite" as n goes on forever.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,959
    Thanks
    1783
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eddi View Post
    As n -> \infty does |A_n| -> 0? Because in that example I can't see how A_n gets "less infinite" as n goes on forever.
    You have some real misconceptions about infinity.
    The idea of “less infinite” is simply finite.
    Now it is true that N = \left\{ {0,1,2,3 \cdots } \right\},\;B = [0,\infty ),\,N \subset B~\& ~ \left| N \right| < \left| B \right|.
    That is about cardinality of infinite sets. There is a injection from N to B, but no injection from B to N.

    In addition, \lim _{n \to \infty } \left| {A_n } \right| \to 0 implies that A_K is finite for some K.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Sorry, what I meant to say was that after considering your example <br /> <br />
\begin{gathered}  A_n  = \left\{ {n,n + 1,n + 2, \cdots } \right\} \end{gathered}<br />
, I could not see how \bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1} {A_n}=\emptyset .

    How I interpret your argument is that since \bigcap^{i}_{n=1} {A_n }=A_{i} if  \lim _{n \to \infty } \left| {A_n } \right| \to 0 then \bigcap^{\infty}\limits_n {A_n }=\emptyset.

    I can't see how  \lim _{n \to \infty } \left| {A_n } \right| \to 0 happens in your example.

    You pointed out that the cardinality of the positive reals is greater than that of the natural numbers. Does this have to do with what I'm missing?
    (I've had some exposure to countable/uncountable sets but not much.)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,959
    Thanks
    1783
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eddi View Post
    How I interpret your argument is that since \bigcap^{i}_{n=1} {A_n }=A_{i} if  \lim _{n \to \infty } \left| {A_n } \right| \to 0 then \bigcap^{\infty}\limits_n {A_n }=\emptyset.

    I can't see how {\color{red} \lim _{n \to \infty } \left| {A_n } \right| \to 0} happens in your example.
    The whole point is {\color{red} \lim _{n \to \infty } \left| {A_n } \right| \to 0} never happens with infinite sets.
    You are confusing several different ideas.

    Here is the proof. Suppose that k \in \bigcap\limits_n {A_n } \,\& \,k \in \mathbb{Z}^ + .
    But that is a clear contradiction because \color{blue}k \notin A_{k + 1}
    Therefore, the intersection must be empty, even though each set in the intersection is infinite.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Oh that makes sense. Thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Intersection of two countably infinite sets
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 22nd 2011, 07:30 PM
  2. Dimension of intersection of two sets
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 24th 2010, 03:06 PM
  3. Infinite Intersection
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 9th 2010, 10:20 AM
  4. Intersection between two sets
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 27th 2009, 08:37 AM
  5. infinite intersection and sum of submodules
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th 2009, 02:18 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum