Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - [SOLVED] permutation and combination problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    44

    Wink [SOLVED] permutation and combination problem

    Can somebody help me to figure out whether 2 and 3 have different meanings ?

    Q :
    Consider 4 vowels (including a) and 8 consonants (including b)

    1)How many 5 letters "words" containing 2 different vowels and 3 different consonants can be formed from the letters ?
    2)How many of them contain 'b' ?
    3)How many of them being with 'b' ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Grandad's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    South Coast of England
    Posts
    2,570
    Thanks
    1
    Hello K A D C Dilshan
    Quote Originally Posted by K A D C Dilshan View Post
    Can somebody help me to figure out whether 2 and 3 have different meanings ?

    Q :
    Consider 4 vowels (including a) and 8 consonants (including b)

    1)How many 5 letters "words" containing 2 different vowels and 3 different consonants can be formed from the letters ?
    2)How many of them contain 'b' ?
    3)How many of them being with 'b' ?
    Sorry, but (3) is not a grammatical English sentence. Is this the original wording of the question? If it is, you should consult the person who wrote it to explain its meaning.

    Grandad
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    44

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandad View Post
    Hello K A D C DilshanSorry, but (3) is not a grammatical English sentence. Is this the original wording of the question? If it is, you should consult the person who wrote it to explain its meaning.

    Grandad
    Why do you say it is not a grammatically correct sentence ?
    Doesn`t t have any meaning ? any meaning ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by K A D C Dilshan View Post
    Why do you say it is not a grammatically correct sentence ?
    Doesn`t t have any meaning ? any meaning ?
    Grandad says that because it's true. Do you mean How many of them begin with 'b'?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    44

    Unhappy Sorrry for wasting your time

    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Grandad says that because it's true. Do you mean How many of them begin with 'b'?
    yeah There is a mistake in the question paper .
    Sorry for the posting
    no need of answering just a simple Qn.
    Actually I have never experienced such a fault on a Qn paper .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Permutation and Combination Question 2
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 15th 2009, 09:50 AM
  2. [SOLVED] Permutation and Combination Question 3
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 15th 2009, 04:34 AM
  3. [SOLVED] Permutation and Combination Question 1
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 8th 2009, 09:08 AM
  4. permutation/combination problem
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 8th 2008, 01:09 PM
  5. Permutation and Combination problem
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 27th 2008, 07:29 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum