Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - NEED Help ASAP (Due in 2 hour) - Just tell if true or false dealing with empty set)

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    93

    NEED Help ASAP (Due in 2 hour) - Just tell if true or false dealing with empty set)

    Sorry for this being late:

    Q: Determine whether these statements are true or false.

    a.) {}

    b.) {,{}}
    c.) {}{}

    d.) {∅} {{}}
    e.) {} {,{}}

    f.) {{}} {,{}}
    g.) {{}} {{∅},{}}
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    I have a.) True, and f.) True. Cant figure out the rest?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Like a stone-audioslave ADARSH's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    From
    India
    Posts
    726
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillakis View Post
    Sorry for this being late:

    Q: Determine whether these statements are true or false.

    a.) {}

    b.) {,{}}
    c.) {}{}

    d.) {∅} {{}}
    e.) {} {,{}}

    f.) {{}} {,{}}
    g.) {{}} {{∅},{}}
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    I have a.) True, and f.) True. Cant figure out the rest?
    a) is correct
    b)True has same logic as (a)
    c)False because every set is NOT an element of itself
    d)is correct because {∅} is an element of the other one
    e)is correct becuse ∅ is an element of second set
    f)Correct, almost same as e) watch in same way
    g)its correct same logic almost same as e)

    Tell incase if you find difficulty
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by ADARSH View Post
    a) is correct
    b)True has same logic as (a)
    c)False because every set is NOT an element of itself
    d)is correct because {∅} is an element of the other one
    e)is correct becuse ∅ is an element of second set
    f)Correct, almost same as e) watch in same way
    g)its correct same logic almost same as e)

    Tell incase if you find difficulty
    thanks ADARSH...what I just dont understand is when its like this for example
    {,{}}. Thats what I don't get.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Like a stone-audioslave ADARSH's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    From
    India
    Posts
    726
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillakis View Post
    thanks ADARSH...what I just dont understand is when its like this for example
    {,{}}. Thats what I don't get.
    {,{}}means

    - ∅ and {} are elements of the set {,{}}

    -Here the second element ie; {} is also a set having its own element ∅

    Got it,
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by ADARSH View Post
    {,{}}means

    - ∅ and {} are elements of the set {,{}}

    -Here the second element ie; {} is also a set having its own element ∅

    Got it,
    so regardless if its like this {,{}} or this {{},{}}} its going to have its own element? Does this hold true for subsets aswell?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Like a stone-audioslave ADARSH's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    From
    India
    Posts
    726
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillakis View Post
    so regardless if its like this {,{}} or this {{},{}}} its going to have its own element? Does this hold true for subsets aswell?
    First of all
    NULL set is a subset of every set



    an example



    Let {a,{{b}},{c,a,d}} be a set

    here
    {a} is its subset
    { {{b}} }is its subset
    { {c,a,d} } is its subset
    and Null set are the only subsets of it

    elements are
    a, {{b}},{c,a,d} and Null


    Adding to it
    When we talk of the set {c,a,d} alone
    c,a,d and Null are elements
    and {a}, {c}, {d} and Null set are its subset
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by ADARSH View Post
    First of all
    NULL set is a subset of every set



    an example



    Let {a,{{b}},{c,a,d}} be a set

    here
    {a} is its subset
    { {{b}} }is its subset
    { {c,a,d} } is its subset
    and Null set are the only subsets of it

    elements are
    a, {{b}},{c,a,d} and Null


    Adding to it
    When we talk of the set {c,a,d} alone
    c,a,d and Null are elements
    and {a}, {c}, {d} and Null set are its subset
    ok. I see now. Thanks ADARSH
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 5th 2011, 01:45 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 4th 2011, 03:19 AM
  3. True or false
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 11th 2011, 12:20 PM
  4. how come false AND false is true?
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 24th 2010, 08:41 AM
  5. True or False. Prove if true show counter example if false.
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 2nd 2010, 11:54 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum