Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
Like Tree8Thanks

Thread: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

  1. #16
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2018
    From
    LA
    Posts
    15

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    $A \Delta B = A \Delta C$

    You don't have to solve it the way I showed. There are many different ways to solve these problems.
    I mean if I have this : " AΔB=AΔC" I can rewrite to this on the question like I did : " (A∪B)\(A∩B) =(A∪C)\(A∩C)" without prove it , right?
    Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #17
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,728
    Thanks
    1521

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    If you have proven that $A \Delta B = (A \cup B) \setminus (A \cap B)$, then yes, you can rewrite the question like you did. The "proof" would be to reference your previous proof that it is true.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #18
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2018
    From
    LA
    Posts
    15

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    If you have proven that $A \Delta B = (A \cup B) \setminus (A \cap B)$, then yes, you can rewrite the question like you did. The "proof" would be to reference your previous proof that it is true.
    But I don't prove that I just rewrite it and try to proven the all sentence , this isn't okay ?
    How could I prove this question in this syntax :
    " For any A,B,C Sets if exist AΔB=AΔC ⇐⇒ B=C " ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #19
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,728
    Thanks
    1521

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    Exactly the same way. Use the definition of the symmetric difference.

    $\Rightarrow$: Let $x \in B$.
    Case 1: $x \in A \Delta B$. Since $x \in B$, it must be that $x \notin A$. But, we also have $A\Delta B = A\Delta C$, so $x \in A$ or $x\in C$, but not $x \in A\cap C$. Since $x \notin A$, we know $x \in C$.
    Case 2: $x \notin A \Delta B$. Since $x \in B$, it must be that $x \in A$. Then, since $A\Delta B = A \Delta C$, we know that $x \notin A \Delta C$. But, we know $x \in A$, so it must be that $x \in C$.
    $\Leftarrow$: Similar to above.
    Last edited by SlipEternal; Mar 14th 2018 at 02:17 PM.
    Thanks from MathPro17
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #20
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2018
    From
    LA
    Posts
    15

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    Exactly the same way. Use the definition of the symmetric difference.

    $\Rightarrow$: Let $x \in B$.
    Case 1: $x \in A \Delta B$. Since $x \in B$, it must be that $x \notin A$. But, we also have $A\Delta B = A\Delta C$, so $x \in A$ or $x\in C$, but not $x \in A\cap C$. Since $x \notin A$, we know $x \in C$.
    Case 2: $x \notin A \Delta B$. Since $x \in B$, it must be that $x \in A$. Then, since $A\Delta B = A \Delta C$, we know that $x \notin A \Delta C$. But, we know $x \in A$, so it must be that $x \in C$.
    $\Leftarrow$: Similar to above.
    Thanks , I will try the next direction and I would be happy if you can correct me :
    ⇐B=C ;
    Let x∈B and from The given information x∈C.
    Case 1(We want to show that AΔB ⊆ AΔC): x∈AΔB and we want to show that x∈AΔC, if x∈AΔB then x∉A , we know that x∈C from given info then x∈AΔC.

    Case 2(We want to show that AΔC ⊆ AΔB): x∈AΔC , we know that x∈C that mean it must be x∉A . we now that x∈B from info given on top and x∉A then x∈AΔB .
    proved .

    Is that Okay ?

    Thanks for all your help.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #21
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,728
    Thanks
    1521

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MathPro17 View Post
    Thanks , I will try the next direction and I would be happy if you can correct me :
    ⇐B=C ;
    Let x∈B and from The given information x∈C.
    Case 1(We want to show that AΔB ⊆ AΔC): x∈AΔB and we want to show that x∈AΔC, if x∈AΔB then x∉A , we know that x∈C from given info then x∈AΔC.

    Case 2(We want to show that AΔC ⊆ AΔB): x∈AΔC , we know that x∈C that mean it must be x∉A . we now that x∈B from info given on top and x∉A then x∈AΔB .
    proved .

    Is that Okay ?

    Thanks for all your help.
    Close, but for $\Leftarrow$, you are assuming $B=C$ to prove that $A\Delta B = A\Delta C$. So, instead of $x \in B$, you would start with $x \in A\Delta B$ and prove that $x \in A \Delta C$.
    Also, I did not complete the proof for $\Rightarrow$. I assumed $A\Delta B = A \Delta C$ and proved that $B \subseteq C$. I did not prove that $C\subseteq B$, which is needed for $B=C$. That can be done with a single line saying "The proof that $C \subseteq B$ follows exactly the same as the proof for $B\subseteq C$."

    So, here is the proof:
    $\Leftarrow:$ Given $B=C$, we want to show $A\Delta B = A \Delta C$ for any set $A$. First, we will show that $A\Delta B \subseteq A \Delta C$. Let $x \in A\Delta B$. We want to show that $x \in A\Delta C$.
    Case 1: $x \in A$. Then, by the definition of symmetric difference, $x \notin B$. Since $B=C$, we know $x \notin C$. Therefore, since $x \in A, x\notin C$, we know $x \in A\Delta C$ again by the definition of symmetric difference.
    Case 2: $x \notin A$. Then, since $x\in A\Delta B$, it must be that $x \in B$, and since $B=C$, we know $x \in C$. Since $x \notin A, x \in C$, we have $x \in A \Delta C$, again by the definition of symmetric difference.
    Since this is true for any arbitrary $x \in A\Delta B$, we have $A\Delta B \subseteq A\Delta C$ for any set $A$.
    The proof that $A\Delta C \subseteq A\Delta B$ follows the exact same proof (just swapping $B$ and $C$). There is no reason to rewrite it.
    Thanks from MathPro17
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #22
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2018
    From
    LA
    Posts
    15

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    You helped me alot , I sorry for the delay becuase I am not be here since then .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #23
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    20,049
    Thanks
    3177

    Re: I would like to know for example how I prove or disprove this sentence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MathPro17 View Post
    Hi,
    I am new here ,
    I have stuck to Proved or disproved This sentence :
    If for any A,B,C groups exist A\C=B\C And A ∩ C =B ∩ C , then A⊆ B.

    Thanks very much for help.
    A rather obvious point is that conditions all have "=" so that if your were to reverse A and B they would still be true! But that would imply, if the given statement is true, that you can prove both "$\displaystyle A\subset B$" and "B\subset A".
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. prove or disprove
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 25th 2013, 07:49 PM
  2. Prove or Disprove the Following:
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 8th 2010, 06:35 AM
  3. prove or disprove
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 19th 2010, 03:16 PM
  4. Set Prove or Disprove
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 1st 2009, 03:08 AM
  5. Help me to prove or disprove this:
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 17th 2008, 06:41 PM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum