Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - Triangle inequality induction problem

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    196

    Triangle inequality induction problem

    Prove by induction that:

    |z_{1}+z_{2}+...+z_{n}| \leq |z_{1}|+|z_{2}|+...+|z_{n}|

    n \in \mathbb{N} and n\geq 1

    I seem to understand the components of this problem as I feel comfortable with the inductive proof process and I can solve for the modulus of complex numbers, e.g., if z = 6+2i then |z| = \sqrt40. I also see that the two shorter sides of a triangle must be at least the length of the longest side and, if they are not parallel with it, then their sum must be greater than the longest side etc. However, I am not sure how to start with this inductive proof. How do I test the base case if z represents a complex number and I don't know the formula for it? How do I sub in a value for it?

    How do I start? where is the gap in my understanding of these topics.

    Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,824
    Thanks
    1717
    Awards
    1

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    Quote Originally Posted by terrorsquid View Post
    Prove by induction that:
    |z_{1}+z_{2}+...+z_{n}| \leq |z_{1}|+|z_{2}|+...+|z_{n}|
    n \in \mathbb{N} and n\geq 1
    I am not sure how to start with this inductive proof. How do I test the base case if z represents a complex number and I don't know the formula for it? How do I sub in a value for it?
    How do I start? where is the gap in my understanding of these topics.
    The real difficulty here is proving the base case: |z_1+z_2|\le |z_1|+|z_2|.
    That is the triangle inequality. If have done that, the rest is easy.
    Proving that requires showing  |z_1+z_2|^2\le \left|\,|z_1|+|z_2|\,\right|^2 .

    Once you have that, then assume an inductive step.
    NOTATION:  A_n  = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {z_k } \;\& \,B_n  = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\left| {z_k } \right|}
    If we know that |A_N|\le B_N then |A_{N+1}|=|A_N+z_{n+1}|\le B_N+|z_{N+1}|=B_{N+1} .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    196

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    I am a little unsure of the notation I guess; how do I treat the z_{1}, z_{2}, ... expressions? Do I let them equal to x + iy or something? I don't see how I could test the base case if they are just variables and they are non negative numbers (natural).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,824
    Thanks
    1717
    Awards
    1

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    Quote Originally Posted by terrorsquid View Post
    I am a little unsure of the notation I guess; how do I treat the z_{1}, z_{2}, ... expressions? Do I let them equal to x + iy or something? I don't see how I could test the base case if they are just variables and they are non negative numbers (natural).
    What part of the notation do you not understand?
    Surely you know that \sum\limits_{k = 1}^{N + 1} {z_k }  = \left( {\sum\limits_{k = 1}^N {z_k } } \right) + z_{N + 1}

    Once again the really difficult part of the problem is the proof of the base case: |z+w|\le |z|+|w|.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    196

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    I wasn't talking about your notation. I meant the z_{n} terms. If they are just symbols then squaring both sides would give z_{1}^2+2z_{1}z_{2}+z_{2}^2 on both sides so then they are equal and the base case has held true? I don't know what they represent.

    I can see that it should be true as when z_{n} is positive and z_{n+1} is negative, then the LHS would be the absolute value of the difference and the RHS would still be the sum of the two absolute values and therefore the RHS would be greater. Obviously if both terms are positive then they are equal. But, again, I don't know what the terms represent in this example.
    Last edited by terrorsquid; August 26th 2011 at 06:52 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,824
    Thanks
    1717
    Awards
    1

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    Quote Originally Posted by terrorsquid View Post
    I wasn't talking about your notation. I meant the z_{n} terms. If they are just symbols then squaring both sides would give z_{1}^2+2z_{1}z_{2}+z_{2}^2 on both sides so then they are equal and the base case has held true? I don't know what they represent. I can see that it should be true as when z_{n} is positive and z_{n+1} is negative, then the LHS would be the absolute value of the difference and the RHS would still be the sum of the two absolute values and therefore the RHS would be greater. Obviously if both terms are positive then they are equal. But, again, I don't know what the terms represent in this example.
    I am really confused now.
    Are you proving for complex numbers or not?
    If z is complex then it is neither positive nor negative
    If these are real numbers the proof is easy.
    If they are complex then the base case is difficult.
    To avoid subscripts suppose that z~\&~w are complex.
    |z+w|^2=(z+w)(\overline{z}+\overline{w}). Expand that.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    196

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    I am really confused now.
    Are you proving for complex numbers or not?
    If z is complex then it is neither positive nor negative
    If these are real numbers the proof is easy.
    If they are complex then the base case is difficult.
    To avoid subscripts suppose that z~\&~w are complex.
    |z+w|^2=(z+w)(\overline{z}+\overline{w}). Expand that.
    Sorry to confuse you :S I am confused myself, as Im sure you have noticed I suspect it is complex considering all the other questions I did were complex... Its mainly that z is arbitrary. I was fine solving equations where z was defined as 5-3i or something but now they are just z's and I don't know what to do with them.

    z\overline{z}+z\overline{w}+w\overline{z}+w \overline{w}

    = |z|^2+|w|^2+z\overline{w}+w\overline{z}
    Last edited by terrorsquid; August 26th 2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,824
    Thanks
    1717
    Awards
    1

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    Quote Originally Posted by terrorsquid View Post
    z\overline{z}+z\overline{w}+w\overline{z}+w \overline{w}
    =|z|^2+|w|^2+z\overline{w}+w\overline{z}
    You need to know that
    z\overline{w}+w\overline{z}=2\text{Re}(z\overline{  w})
    and
    \text{Re}(z\overline{w})\le|z||w|
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    196

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    So I have:

    |z|^2+|w|^2+2Re(z\overline{w})\le |z|^2+|w|^2+2|z||w|

    Re(z\overline{w})\le |z||w| which is true.

    I haven't come across that identity yet. What is it called so I can learn more about it?

    Thanks so much for the help. Excellent as always.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,824
    Thanks
    1717
    Awards
    1

    Re: Triangle inequality induction problem

    Quote Originally Posted by terrorsquid View Post
    Re(z\overline{w})\le |z||w| which is true.
    I haven't come across that identity yet. What is it called so I can learn more about it?
    Just prove it. Let z=a+b\mathif{i}~\&~w=c+d\mathif{i}

    Is it true that Re(z)\le |z|~?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Triangle inequality problem
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 14th 2011, 09:18 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 12th 2010, 01:16 PM
  3. Help with induction problem (inequality)
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 12th 2010, 02:58 AM
  4. Triangle Inequality Problem
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 6th 2009, 10:49 PM
  5. induction inequality
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 26th 2008, 08:46 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum